Talk

Advanced search

Panicking about chicken bones-help please!

(10 Posts)
diddl Sat 28-May-11 17:26:29

Just been out with doggy & he was sniffing in some long grass & I heard a crunch.

Pulled him out & he´d obviously eaten something!

Had a look & there was a carrier bag of bonesshockangry-chicken I thinksad

Looked like drumsticks.

What do I do?

diddl Sat 28-May-11 17:27:15

I put the bag in a nearby bin btw.

The advice goes that dogs should not eat cooked chicken bones.

I bet you would be pushed to find a dog owner whos dog hasn't, especially those who live in a city. My Stafford ate so many he should have rattled.

Keep a close eye on him look out for any blood in his poo, vomiting, constipation/straining, or just seeing to be in pain, but I would imagine he will be perfectly fine.

diddl Sat 28-May-11 17:48:06

Thanks-just read online that you should feed white bread?confused

I´ll keep an eye on him, obviously, just wondered if I actively needed to do anything to lessen any risks, iyswim.

You could do, or some say white rice, but you might just give him diarrhea.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound patronizing by saying 'keep an eye on him', obviously anyone would do that, I was just trying to say that really that is all you do need to do.

diddl Sat 28-May-11 18:05:20

Don´t worry, you weren´t patronising!

Hmm, don´t want to risk diarrhoea, so I´ll just keep an eye on him & fingers crossedgrin

<and keep the panicking to a minimum!>

lcj68 Sat 28-May-11 18:36:59

Hi when my dog did this, although it was my food recycling bin that was raided, I called the vet who said to give her some bread to pad the bones as they went through her and to keep an eye on her for 24hrs. Luckily for us, she was fine but was very worrying none the less

diddl Sat 28-May-11 18:41:40

Will do with the bread, then!

oxocube Sat 28-May-11 18:46:23

My dogs have done this several times (bin scroungers) and were fine. Fairly big dogs - don't know if the breed matters. Think the 'keeping an eye out' advice is good smile

diddl Sat 28-May-11 19:01:28

He´s a medium sized mongrel, so hopefully made of strong stuff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now