Talk

Advanced search

Rest in peace, Buddy

(7 Posts)
Vallhala Sat 28-May-11 14:46:11

^"I wrote this on Monday about Buddy, a big white longhaired German Shepherd.

Not long after I'd got to know the rescue which I now help out at I had to make the awful decision to say goodbye to my gentle giant of a longhaired white GSD, Shane. Shane had Degenerative Myeleopathy (DM), a terminal condition akin to human's MS, which left his back legs paralyed and would lead from there to any of a variety of problems and then his death. I had to make the decision to say goodbye as his suffering was beyond my ability to help and there was no cure. I was in bits, Shane was all I could ever have dreamed of in a dog.

Buddy's owner was my rock. Despite living miles away she was a frequent comforter with kind words, little tales about Bud. She understood how I felt as Bud, from all I understand, is just like Shane was. She sent me photos of Buddy - I had my virtual furry comforter in him.

Now J is having to make that same awful decision. Buddy is getting old now, he's epileptic and he can no longer walk, being reliant upon being carried or the use of a doggy cart wheelchair - the vet believes that he too may have DM. Buddy's dignity and strength are slipping and there is nothing that the vets, J, I or anyone can do. sad

I'm so so sad for them both, I can't put into words how anguished I am for J and for Buddy."^

Buddy has gone, helped on his way by his vet at home with J by his side. J says "Heaven now has a big white fluffy angel". I can't put into words my feelings of utter sadness for J, her husband and her little girl... and for Buddy, the dog I never met but who I fell in love with all the same.

Run free Buddy darling.

Al0uiseG Sat 28-May-11 14:50:00

sad big tears for Buddy from Rupe and me x

coccyx Sat 28-May-11 14:53:11

Oh bless. RIP Buddy

2T2T Sat 28-May-11 22:23:23

:-(((((

kid Sun 29-May-11 00:37:22

It's such a hard choice to make to let them go to end the suffering. Sounds like buddy had a loving family, R.I.P Buddy xxx
I'm sure Mobes will have a good run around with you at Rainbow Bridge x

DizzyDummy Tue 31-May-11 00:51:11

God, so heartbreaking sad

MotherJack Tue 31-May-11 08:28:48

You've made me cry, Val sad
It's heartbreaking when they leave you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now