Talk

Advanced search

Itchy dog - help!

(18 Posts)
BerryLellow Sat 28-May-11 10:20:49

Hi, looking for a miracle cure for my dog - he's driving himself demented biting and scratching to the point of going bald and drawing blood. We've tried Frontline and Stronghold (not together!) He's had his anal glands checked, nothing seems to help him.

Sorry for the ramble, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks smile

chickchickchicken Sat 28-May-11 10:34:56

does he have any allergies? dry skin?

BerryLellow Sat 28-May-11 10:42:34

He hasn't done up to now (he's just turned 8) but it's a possibility. He does have a bit of dry skin that we have been brushing off, I put that down to all the chewing and scratching. Have tried putting oil in his food, and tea tree lotion on his scratchy bits too.

BerryLellow Sat 28-May-11 10:42:55

Thanks for reply smile

ellangirl Sat 28-May-11 12:52:46

grass mites? Vets can give him something to stop the itching temporarily, and take skin scrapings, but that's what my dog gets a reaction to, and it's always at this time of year. Mine is also sensitive to some foods I think.

BerryLellow Sat 28-May-11 13:17:47

If he's still so frantic on tuesday we'll take him back in, poor lamb. Maybe some dunks in the sea over the weekend will help. Interesting about the food thing, he eats bakers dry food (and anything else he can sniff out), maybe he needs something different now he's getting on a bit. Thanks both.

thestringcheeseincident Sat 28-May-11 13:21:01

Is he a German Shepherd?
Our GSD has alot of allergies and get obsessed with scratching and licking himself. We take him to the vet for steroid shots and they make him feel better. Although not good for longevity. Do you have a cone thing you can put on him?

ellangirl Sat 28-May-11 14:23:25

Def try a different food then-bakers isn't the best- lots of additives. I feed mine skinners duck and rice which isn't too expensive compared with some.

BerryLellow Sat 28-May-11 17:40:22

I'll give that a go then, thank you.

He's a Weimaraner X Collie, a lovely big black lump. He's very dry today actually, which must be making things worse. You're right about the obsessive scratching and licking - he starts yodelling as he does it sometimes. He seemed mildly better when he'd had the steroid shot last time, but not completely.

Actually he has drunk a bit more water than normal, maybe that's related too

confused

hephaestus Sat 28-May-11 17:54:12

Stronghold would eliminate mites/mange/fleas as a cause so I'd ditch the Bakers (horrific stuff, ought to be banned) and try a grain-free diet. Sensitivities can occur at any time; chronic itching with dry skin immediately makes me think of wheat allergy.

BerryLellow Sat 28-May-11 18:28:06

It is horrific I know, I wish I could afford the best for him but I can't. What's the best budget food for dogs?

ellangirl Sat 28-May-11 18:34:16

Skinners duck and rice is £24 ish I think for a big 15kg bag.

Jaynerae Sat 28-May-11 19:26:17

My beagle had awfully itchy skin, I changed to burns high oats and she stopped itchy within a day!

chickchickchicken Sun 29-May-11 13:21:01

i wait till large bags of food are on offer and then buy a few and store in rodent proof containers in garage. also look for a farm shop selling animal feeds as these are usually a lot cheaper than pet shops

friend's goldie is allergic to grass and dust. he has steriod injections and good quality dry food. he still gets problems but a lot less severe. they are thinking of trying a t shirt from equafleece (about £20 i think) to see if it helps with his skin not directly touching carpet and grass

Lara2 Sun 29-May-11 16:45:53

One of my dogs gets very itchy just as the pollen all starts being released. I give her 1 tablet of piriton a day and that solves the problem. It also stops her eyes running - I read somewhere online that itchy skin and runny eyes is how hay fever manifests itself in dogs.

BerryLellow Mon 30-May-11 08:00:34

You can give dogs piriton??

Lara2 Mon 30-May-11 08:12:24

Yes, it's fine - someone I know works with a vet nurse and she recommended it. It's important not to substitute another anti-histamine because it may not have the same chemicals etc and may react adversely. My dogs are lab/collie crosses, so a smaller dog may only need half a tablet. I wrap them up in cheese or ham.

BerryLellow Mon 30-May-11 13:29:08

Ah mine's a whopper so a full one would be all right. I might try that to relieve him if he gets frantic again.

Thanks everyone - this has been really helpful

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: