Advanced search

Dog boarding...what should I look for?

(13 Posts)
BluddyMoFo Mon 23-May-11 14:43:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BluddyMoFo Mon 23-May-11 15:53:38

Bless you, it is hard to leave them.

I do home boarding, expect the person to be very accomadating to what your dog needs and to ask you an awful lot of questions, they should want to make your dogs stay as comfortable and easy as possible. I go very out of my way to keep things just as they would be at home.

Personally I have never left my dogs with anyone but my family, but I am lucky to be able to do that.

Only you know if yours is the type of dog that could cope with kennels, I know mine would (literally) have a nervous breakdown.

ExitPursuedByAKitten Mon 23-May-11 16:31:55

If it is just for a weekend I would go with kennels. My dog has homeboarded but it was not too successful. He was still quite young and had a cage, but the boyfried of the dog woman thought it was mean to put him in the cage and he chewed a footstool apparently! Since then our secretary has him at her home, but brings him to our house every day (where she works). I am happy with that, but always worry that her sons might accidentally leave the door open and he would escape. He is going to kennels for the weekend soon as our secretary is away. I hate him going but know that at least he is safe, if bored.

BluddyMoFo Mon 23-May-11 16:50:55

jellybrain Mon 23-May-11 21:53:14

Whereabouts are you roughly perhaps someone could recommend a specific homeboarding place or kennels they have used.
Mine had a week of home boarding last week when we were on holiday.

BluddyMoFo Mon 23-May-11 22:00:31

jellybrain Mon 23-May-11 22:16:32

Ahh thats a shame I'm near Oxford and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the one we used. At least 2 long walks every day, loads of playing, sofa if that's what you do at home no sofa if you don't. And lots of texts to tell us how she was getting on.

I didn't like the first place I visited but, this one seemed right straight away. Chewing wasn't a problem as she was kept very busy and used her crate at bedtime.

What sort of dog do you have?

BluddyMoFo Mon 23-May-11 22:26:07

jellybrain Mon 23-May-11 22:29:52

Wow Bluddy we have twin dogs ie. small lurcher (colliex whippet) 10 m0nths old which we got from resuce in December!

BluddyMoFo Mon 23-May-11 22:51:19

Vasu38 Mon 09-May-16 21:06:31

I,m looking for exceptional family/ couple for my lovely 5 yr dog to have in their own home on occasional times throughout the year . As kennels can be too much
to leave without a friendly loving human giving them some/little attention now and then. Needs secured garden ......???

psicat Tue 10-May-16 07:11:27

There are lots of very good home boarders out there - and some right cowboys! First step is that they should be licensed by your local council - even if only look after 1 dog, so I would ask them if they have a list of licensed premises. If your council won't release details (depending on their data protection) then ask the boarder for a copy of their licence - if they can't produce it walk away. Always see the place first, ask if they board any other dogs at the same time. If they are licensed they have to be insured, will be restricted to a maximum number of dogs and will be inspected by the local authority

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now