Talk

Advanced search

Any good Stafford rescues or no kill rescues in the North East?

(17 Posts)
DooinMeCleanin Sat 15-Jan-11 20:40:31

Against my advice my sisters friend went and a bought a Stafford puppy for x-mas. It has ended as I suspected and puppy now needs a new loving home sad

And some training by the sounds of things. I have given her the number of Devil Dog's trainer, but she just wants rid.

Vallhala Sat 15-Jan-11 21:44:02

Bob at Northern SBT Rescue - he's a really lovely man although probably up to his ears in dogs. Worth a try first and foremost though.

bob@sbtrescue.org.uk

CarGirl Sat 15-Jan-11 21:46:59

sad

Why do people get puppies, I just don't understand it.

although I prefer dogs am only allowed a cat, rehoming is fabulous all the joy of pet ownership without the trauma of kittens & puppies grin

DooinMeCleanin Sat 15-Jan-11 21:51:02

Already e-mailed Vall. You gave me his email address when I asked about fostering Staffords.

I'll let you know what he says.

CarGirl, I agree. My exact words to my sister were "Tell her if she gets a staffy pup I can guarentee she will be rehoming it before it's 6 months old. Here is a huge list of rescues she can contact"

I guess the message either was not passed on or she just didn't listen.

Still at least she is going about rehoming in the right way and not just giving it to the first taker.

NewYearNewKnickersOnMyHead Sat 15-Jan-11 21:55:43

Oh jeez sad

I would of offered to take it in too but I have just today rescued a a 9 month old Staffie X poundie.

NewYearNewKnickersOnMyHead Sat 15-Jan-11 21:56:28

Rehomed, not rescued. Have rescues on the brain tonight, sorry.

CountessVonKnackerstein Sat 15-Jan-11 22:05:03

There's one in Durham area. Deerness I think?

NewYearNewKnickersOnMyHead Sat 15-Jan-11 22:09:37

Dooin, does said person know that rescues are full to the brim with staffies?

Any videos on youtube you could show her etc?

I wish people would fecking learn angry

Vallhala Sat 15-Jan-11 22:21:03

DON'T TOUCH DEERNESS! THEY'RE A POUND IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING!

DooinMeCleanin Sat 15-Jan-11 22:29:23

Knickers, I showed I told her all this when she asked me if I knew any where she could get a puppy from, but tbh if she is going to consider rehoming this early then it's better she do it now while the puppy is still cute and highly trainable than keep him under duress only to rehome him as an adult.

The pup is safe. Don't worry about that. He won't be going to a pound. AFAIK she is willing to keep him until somewhere suitable can be found for him

Cataline Sat 15-Jan-11 22:34:45

What about the dogs trust near Darlington? Sadberge I think. We got our pup from there and they were brilliant.

Avoid the Newcastle Cat and Dog Shelter (Benton and Newcastle) at all costs - bloody awful places!

DooinMeCleanin Sat 15-Jan-11 22:39:02

If I can't get any luck with breed rescue I'll try Dogs Trust. I think he'd stand a better chance of being rehomed if he wasn't competing against labradors etc.

CountessVonKnackerstein Sat 15-Jan-11 22:44:23

Valhalla, I dont understand what you mean? My pals got a gorgeous lab from there, they recommended the place to me?

midori1999 Sun 16-Jan-11 11:29:58

What I assume Val means is it is not a no kill rescue, it is a pound and as such any dog there is at risk of being put to sleep after 7 days. I am sure Val will correct me if I am wrong. grin

In hope the pup finds a nice home. Someone who lives near me got a Staff from recue/a pound (unsure which, but clearly nowhere reputable) over Christmas. She had no idea what it was like with either children or dogs and has twin babies and an older child. She was leaving her babies in the car with it whilst she went in the shops and the dog was jumping all over the babies. Then it attacked someone else's dog at the school bus stop so she had it PTS. sad Then, less than 24 hours later she got another staff, it's not housetrained, she knew that and she is now considering 'getting rid' of it as she's fed up with it toileting in her house.

There are no words to describe what I would like to do to the above person. angry

CountessVonKnackerstein Sun 16-Jan-11 17:25:13

This is the link to SAD from the deerness website (which I think is a kennels) they say they have a no destruction policy? link
Im not arguing, I'm just surprised!

TheMonster Sun 16-Jan-11 17:26:55

The Dogs Trust in Leeds are very good, and very positive about Staffs.

DooinMeCleanin Sun 16-Jan-11 17:29:21

Our pound apparently does not put dogs to sleep either. Which would be why they have they phoned Vall to tell her they are going to put to sleep another dog she is trying to help me with if she does not get rehomed soon hmm

The girl is thinking about trying to keep the puppy now, but is going to contact NE SBT rescue to discuss the issues she has and whether they think training will help. She is also going to contact my trainer.

I think she just got a bit of a shock when the puppy got a bit excited and drew blood on her child's foot. She has taken time to think now and is willing to train the pup if it will help smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: