Talk

Advanced search

Behaviour people this way...

(8 Posts)
bedlambeast Sat 15-Jan-11 09:24:11

Message withdrawn

Scuttlebutter Sat 15-Jan-11 10:08:35

Bedlam, what is it that you actually want people's thoughts on?

Do you want to rehome him? Do you want to train him to do something specific? ARe you worried about him with your/other people's children?

My only observation so far is that I would never personally mess around with my dog's food while he/she is eating - another one of those weird "dominance" thangs. We put food down, dog eats, we go do other stuff. Dog finishes food, disappears into garden, belches loudly and contentedly, bowls washed up. No Crackers of Destiny here.

Bella32 Sat 15-Jan-11 10:17:48

Are his ears okay? Any chance of an infection?

CalamityKate Sat 15-Jan-11 13:10:26

Sounds like you're doing everything right to me. The handfeeding/adding to bowl is a good idea. I don't personally go along with the "I must be able to take food from my dog" dominance piffle either (my dogs are always left in their room to eat in peace), but adding to bowls and teaching them that humans near food bowl = Very Good Thing is totally different, not to mention necessary.

The panicking/biting when something's dropped is an odd one, isn't it? Maybe practise dropping stuff and click/treating at the same time, like you are with the collar thing. WRT the collar - consider having a short house line on him for times when you have to move him, so you don't have to grab his collar.

bedlambeast Sat 15-Jan-11 16:11:51

Message withdrawn

CalamityKate Sat 15-Jan-11 16:25:29

Do you reckon he's been told off for growling before? Often, when dogs bite "without warning" they've given plenty of warnings in the past (stiffening, lip-lifting, escalating to growling) and been told off for it. They then learn that growling etc doesn't work, and move on to biting.

minimu1 Sat 15-Jan-11 16:48:05

Dont you just wish we could understand fully what dogs are trying to communicate. grin

Let you put food in my bowl but not pick up some paper!

Great what you are doing with adding food to bowl and also the click and treating of grabbing a collar. This is something every dog should be happy with as it can be a life saver in some situations.

If you drop things on the floor and ignore them what does he do?

If you just put your hand to the floor what does he do?

If your drop things on the floor and kick them with your feet what does he do?

Don't do anything that will cause you harm or him stress!

Would love to see a video so that we can see more clearly his reaction

bedlambeast Sat 15-Jan-11 18:59:37

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: