Talk

Advanced search

My puppy slipped his lead!

(14 Posts)
auntyfash Mon 10-Jan-11 16:08:24

Luckily he stayed by my side so I was able to grab him, but this has really worried me. He has a nylon collar, and I'm pretty certain it's neither too loose nor too tight.

So, I was wondering if you could advise me on a safer collar as I really don't want him running off into the road or anything.

I've just been googling and have seen something called a martingale collar. Does anyone know if these are any good?

He's a 3 1/2month border terrier btw.

TIA

NewYearNewKnickersOnMyHead Mon 10-Jan-11 16:43:48

How about a harness?

auntyfash Mon 10-Jan-11 17:38:21

S'ok, I just bought him a leather collar, and have put in an extra hole so it fits him snugly. I think I was panicking a bit earlier blush but I've checked that he can't get his head out of this one. His old collar must have been too loose cos there's no other way he could have slipped it really, and with it being a nylon one I couldn't put in an extra hole.

Thanks for your reply though

CalamityKate Mon 10-Jan-11 17:42:28

A Martingale collar is (I think) a leather version of the half check. They're good for dogs whose head is the same width as their neck (Greyhounds etc) because unless the dog pulls, either forward or back, they're loose but they tighten enough to keep the collar on if the dog if it pulls back.

Half check:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=half+check+coll ar&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GBfficial&client= firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=k0QrTZ3pJsq2hQfFmNSkAg& sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved =0CEYQrQQwAg

Martingale collar:

http://www.collarsrus.co.uk/#/martingales/45310304 19

CalamityKate Mon 10-Jan-11 17:43:37

How do you do it so that rather than a long link, it would say "Half check collar here" or somesuch, and be clickable??

NewYearNewKnickersOnMyHead Mon 10-Jan-11 17:58:10

Put these [[ before and these ]] after

stleger Mon 10-Jan-11 18:12:15

Ddog who is a whippety lad, has a rope lead/show lead - he escaped from a normal collar, has eaten his latest collar while wearing it, and an eat harnesses while wearing them. The rope lead is the only one he hasn't managed to escape from.

silentcatastrophe Mon 10-Jan-11 18:23:21

A collar should fit snugly and you should be able to fit a couple of fingers underneath. If it is too loose, the dog can get caught in the collar and the collar can twist. If there is enough slack for the collar to twist it is too loose. If you are concerned, it may be worth checking with a professional.

auntyfash Mon 10-Jan-11 18:24:43

Clammy, do this [[ insert link then leave space then add your text then ]].

auntyfash Mon 10-Jan-11 18:30:21

oh and thanks for replies blush

CamelToeAndWine Mon 10-Jan-11 19:21:48

thanks auntyfash

CamelToeAndWine Mon 10-Jan-11 19:22:19

Ooh I'm clever!

CalamityKate Mon 10-Jan-11 20:21:41

Half-check collars

kid Mon 10-Jan-11 23:24:59

My puppy didn't slip his collar, I dropped his lead recently and he ran straight into a main road in to the path of an oncoming car. Luckily the car stopped in time, whether it be because he heard my screams or saw my puppy, I don't know. But ever since then, my pup goes out on a harness and I hold the lead extra tight now.

Glad to hear your puppy stayed by your side, what a good pup you have!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now