Talk

Advanced search

puppy with upset tummy

(13 Posts)
auntyfash Fri 31-Dec-10 10:41:46

Hiya, during the night my puppy has had the runs and also been sick twice. As far as I'm aware he's not eaten anything different, although tbf he could have taken something from the bin or picked something up on his walk.
He's sleeping now so I'm just leaving him to rest, but should I keep him off food or feed him a special diet until he's better?

nickschick Fri 31-Dec-10 10:48:17

I treat our dog like a child if hes poorly like that .....cut right back on his food and only give him half the amount of dry food,lots of water and a few longer walks as excercise might help his bowels empty.

By tomorrow he should be a little better so you can increase his food little by little.

auntyfash Fri 31-Dec-10 10:51:20

Thanks nickschick

HereBefore Fri 31-Dec-10 10:52:02

You could try replacing his normal diet with some chicken and rice as this is gentle on the tummy and offer some live yoghurt to build up the good bacteria. However if things don't get better quickly I'd get him to the vet as pups can go downhill quite fast. Hope he's feeling better soon.

JaxTellersOldLady Fri 31-Dec-10 10:53:58

sorry, I disagree with nickschick.

you should keep fresh water down for your puppy, dont feed it for a good few hours and when you do give it some chicken and rice or fish and rice. Something bland that wont upset its tummy.

Dont exercise it at all, just in the garden and keep the puppy quiet and rested.

How old is the puppy?

If not better within 24hrs I would call my vet for advice.

ABudafulSightWereHappyTonight Fri 31-Dec-10 10:54:18

Plain rice for today. Make sure getting lots of water. If ok add a bit of cooked chicken tomorrow and then gradually back on to normal food.

Our puppy did this when we had only had her a week or so. Couldn't even lift her head to drink she was so weak.

Oh - half a charcoal tab will help.

Ours recovered and now eats frozen poo. Sigh.

auntyfash Fri 31-Dec-10 10:57:18

He's 14 weeks old. Although he's asleep now he's still very lively when he's awake, wanting to play with his toys etc.

With the rice, is it just plain boiled rice? I did think it better to not take him out for walks today, mainly cos it'd be a nightmare trying to pick up sloppy poos! He has access to the garden so he should be ok today. Obviously if he does get work I'll take him to the vets.

Thanks for the advice.

JaxTellersOldLady Fri 31-Dec-10 11:08:48

14wks is about the same age as my puppy. They are little scavengers!

plain boiled rice, plenty of fresh water and quiet. If the puppy is sick I would call your Vet for advice. There is an injection they can give to stop vomitting and some liquid to calm the tummy.

Although I think they usually want to wait to see if it clears up itself.

auntyfash Fri 31-Dec-10 11:11:47

He's only been sick twice and that was a few hours ago now. No more poos for 2 hours either so hopefully he's on the mend. Like I say, he doesn't seem really ill when he's not asleep, still a total livewire.

I'll try him with some rice when he wakes up. Thanks again for the advice everyone.

JaxTellersOldLady Fri 31-Dec-10 13:30:41

oh, forgot to say, just small portions, you dont want to overload his tummy.

Hope he feels better soon.

So far today from lolly I have rescued a sock, a spoon, a butter knife (covered in peanut butter) and a tennis ball. None of these things were on the floor, she can reach the work tops already!

I dont mind the tennis ball, but I am beginning to regret the fact that my dogs will pick up metal objects!

auntyfash Fri 31-Dec-10 14:53:53

I've had to rescue socks today but not any metal things! shock

Milo seems totally better now. He's busy playing fight the teddy with my son and is as bouncy as ever

JaxTellersOldLady Fri 31-Dec-10 15:36:09

glad to hear it. puppies are pretty resilient little things, if it goes in one end it tends to come out the other. (Usually)

ah yes, my dogs pick up metal. Many times when we have had work people in a rescue operation of manly metal tools from the garden has been necessary. The work folk dont usually listen when we say please dont leave anything metal lying around, the dog (s) will pick it up. Most dogs dont/wont pick up metal.

nickschick Fri 31-Dec-10 17:08:33

I would starve an older dog for a while but not a puppy....sorry Jax anyway looks like this puppy has picked up and is better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now