Talk

Advanced search

Dd wants a dog? Is there anywhere she can volunteer first.

(12 Posts)
valleyqueen Thu 30-Dec-10 18:17:06

She is 12 and is desperate for a dog, I have not had one for 14 years, I would really like her to see for herself what a huge responsibility it is first by maybe volunteering somewhere. Does anyone know of anywhere that may do this.

Next problem is she likes little lap dogs, I have only ever had German Shepherds. I would only take a rescue animal but totally unsure at what breed is best.

MadameCastafiore Thu 30-Dec-10 18:18:08

My house - live in north essex - have a great big lolloping labradoodle who needs some love!

Vallhala Thu 30-Dec-10 18:43:49

I'd imagine that your daughter won't be allowed to help at any of the big rescues owing to her age and H&S regs. The only thing you can do is contact as many independent, smaller rescues as you can find locally and see what they have to say. Many, unfortunately, will have the same outlook. but it's not impossible to find somewhere - my 2 daughters are, along with me, rescue volunteers and have been since they were younger than your daughter.

As for breeds, what can I say? Get her working with god's own breed, Sheps, and she won't give any other breed another thought. wink

valleyqueen Thu 30-Dec-10 19:52:43

That's what I am hoping, I really can't see me walking a pug round the park. My old shep made a lovely heater on cold nights to

Avantia Thu 30-Dec-10 19:59:07

Does he like little lap dogs because they are seen as a fashion acessory ? You will end up looking after the dog anyway so get a real dog = i.e not one that looks like a rat ( sorry to offend anyone with lap dogs grin)

Perhaps if you take your DD to a rescue centre and get the staff to give her a talk and look round .

valleyqueen Thu 30-Dec-10 20:03:41

I think that maybe part of it, she likes spaniels as well I could possibly go for one of those.

I need her to realise they are a massive commitment they are.

DooinMeCleanin Thu 30-Dec-10 20:04:34

Whippets are a cross between a lapdog and a proper dog. Although mine is more like a cat than a dog. Despite Vall promising me she would be at the mad puppy stage by now <looks accusingly at Vall> I demand a playful puppy!!!

Staffords are known as the four stone lapdog and there are hundreds of them in rescue just waiting to be loved.

No idea about volunteering though, but maybe you could foster short term just to get a feel for dog ownership again?

AvengingGerbil Thu 30-Dec-10 20:13:11

What about contacting a local kennel if the rescue operations are no good? Or do you have any elderly neighbours who would be glad of someone to walk their hound (esp in this weather)?

valleyqueen Thu 30-Dec-10 20:23:54

I was considering fostering, I have been fostering cats, I may talk to the cat home as they very occasionallly have dogs there in order to keep them out of the pound.

Scuttlebutter Thu 30-Dec-10 21:11:54

Try Cinnamon Trust for voluntary dog walking.

Talk to your local Council Dog Warden - they could start by giving her a guided tour of teh local dogs home and talking about what their job involves. They will also have contacts in local rescues and may be able to advise on which ones will let her volunteer. They will have up todate CRB checks so will be OK with her. Unfortunately, because of the assumption that all adults are peaedophiles these days, many charities/voluntary groups have given up on having under 16 volunteers as it is so much hassle to get everyone CRB checked. For small organisations, it is often the last straw.

I think this is an area where your daughter needs to sit down with Google and just type in "dog rescue MYtown" and see what comes up/works through the list. Put together a generic polite email to each organiation that SHE has written, not you, stressing what hours she is available, what she is interested in doing/learning, her reliability and commitment. Good luck to her - she sounds like a very caring and thoughtful young lady.

JaxTellersOldLady Fri 31-Dec-10 11:04:36

OP, feel free to come up on the Chiltern line from Marylebone to my house!

I have 2 GSDs and a (foster) cane corso. The GSDs are mine and the CAne needs a new home!

Your daughter is very welcome to come up and walk with my children and I and get muddy, wet and then have a hot chocolate afterwards.

Feel free to PM me.

Most dog rescues wont entertain your daughter, unless you were willing to go along and volunteer with her.

MrsSnaplegs Fri 31-Dec-10 11:24:21

I have a rhodesian ridgeback that thinks she's a lap dog grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: