Talk

Advanced search

The Devil Dog and more training tips please?

(8 Posts)
DooinMeCleanin Thu 30-Dec-10 01:13:06

He is actually getting trained you know grin. Infact we sucessfully trained him not to steal the childrens toys, only to use his own toys.

We were careful not confuse him and such stuck to definate doggy toys i.e. no fluffy teds for him to pull apart or anything that might resemble a childs toy. He is 'allowed' nyla bones, Kongs, balls, tug ropes and squeaking things.

So far so good.

But then some eejit went and bought dd1 pump-a-lumps aka giant, inflatable dog squeakers hmm

The Devil Dog is as we speak attempting to open the toy cupboard to retrieve his new giant squeakers.

So how do I teach him he is only allowed regular sized squeakers and not dd sized squeakers? Squeakers are his favourite and a useful training aud so I don't want to accidentially teach him he cannot have squeeking toys.

ditavonteesed Thu 30-Dec-10 11:57:44

can't they take pumpalumps upstairs? dds asked for that game for xmas and -I- santa forsaw the exact same problem.

DooinMeCleanin Thu 30-Dec-10 12:42:33

They are upstairs. And locked in a cubpoard. He can smell them and he wants them now grin

The trainer is off until the 3rd. I fear the pupm-a-lumps might not make it until the 3rd.

I can't stop him getting upstairs as 1) he can now open doors 2) there is no door on our stairs anyway 3) there is no safe way to attatch a petgate to the stairs.

ditavonteesed Thu 30-Dec-10 12:44:08

no idea then, but the mental images you have painted are making me chucklle to mysef, sorry. hopefully someone more useful will be along soon.

JaxTellersOldLady Thu 30-Dec-10 15:36:03

well I am here, but sadly not useful. grin

I try hard not to have squeaky toys, because they drive me insane and the dogs wreck them in about 5 seconds.

If DD knows the 'leave it' command maybe get get his fave treats and teach him to leave the pumpalumps (what the heck are they? need to google) alone.

Also, have one of his toys to give him if he gets the thing he isnt supposed to have.

hth.
x

DooinMeCleanin Thu 30-Dec-10 15:42:15

Yes he knows leave it and will leave it, for about 3 seconds or until I leave the room. He has eaten his last squeaker and the tug rope is just not as interesting as the pump-a-thingys.

He seems to have forgotten about them for the time being.

They are like giant weebles that you inflate with a footpump. The first one to inflate theirs wins. After that you can punch them and they squeek but never fall down.

JaxTellersOldLady Thu 30-Dec-10 16:08:46

ah yes, I saw those on "This Morning" just before Christmas...

Loofas 'thing' is footballs, he just cant help himself and it doesnt matter where we go or what we do, if he sees a football he gets so excited.
I have tried taking him up to the football field when there is a game on and just sitting and watching but he squeaks like a dog possessed! It is highly embarassing, so I walk away. It has got better over time though, so maybe constant in your face with the pump thingies is what to do?

Needless to say we do not own a football in this house.

KPee Thu 30-Dec-10 18:35:55

Apart from teaching a cast iron "Leave it" (I did both my dogs by putting them on lead, dropping the best most favourite item with the command Leave, and them picking it up myself. Repeat it daily, for ever. I've got dogs who will drop bones on the leave it command) he'll not differenciate between the kids squeakies or his own - i think to say 'yes' to kids sqeakies and no to others will confuse the dog endlessly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: