Talk

Advanced search

Can you recommend a pet insurer which pays vets direct?

(24 Posts)
VallhalaLalalalalalalalaaaaaa Tue 28-Dec-10 15:37:51

Apart from Petplan, who I will not use under any circumstances?

I have pet insurance and so far have never had to claim on it although I will be doing so soon (investigative lump removal on my young Shep). The bill for this will be about £500, which I'll be paying upfront and reclaiming, as per the policy requirements. It has occurred to me that if this were 5,000 pounds, which sadly isn't outside the realms of possibility these days, it won't be as easy for me to wait weeks for a refund from my insurers. So, I think that when the policy's current 12 month term expires I'll be looking for another insurer.

Any thoughts or good/bad experiences to share please?

kormachameleon Tue 28-Dec-10 15:41:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lou33 Tue 28-Dec-10 15:48:18

Direct line do, iirc

lou33 Tue 28-Dec-10 15:53:04

Direct line do, iirc

VallhalaLalalalalalalalaaaaaa Tue 28-Dec-10 15:54:34

Thanks, I'll look into those, much appreciated.

Korma, I won't use PetPlan as they knowingly insure puppy farmer's dogs and pups.

I'd rather pay more and go elsewhere.

midori1999 Tue 28-Dec-10 17:11:18

Isn't it more down to the vet than the insurance company? I always thought so, but could well be wrong.

We use Sainsburys and have only made a couple of claims, but both times the vets (different practices) have been happy for us to pay them the excess and then claim the rest directly from the insurance company as they apparently have a good reputation.

VallhalaLalalalalalalalaaaaaa Tue 28-Dec-10 18:06:37

Ah... thank you Midori. That;s not the impression I got from my vets at all but I'll raise the question and see what they have to say.

Primroselady Tue 28-Dec-10 18:16:44

E&L I am just claiming through them for first time so will let you know if they are any good.

VallhalaLalalalalalalalaaaaaa Tue 28-Dec-10 18:47:17

Fingers crossed they are Primroselady and that your dog is well now.

midori1999 Tue 28-Dec-10 18:47:27

I wouldn't touch E&L with a bargepole! They have a terrible, terrible reputation for paying out on horse insurance, to the point no-one in the know in the horse world uses them and they were the company my neighbour used to insure her dog, after I implored her not to and they would not pay out for hip dysplacia surgery. sad

Good luck with your claim Primroselady!

Mrsfred Tue 28-Dec-10 21:59:20

We are with Greenbee (John Lewis underwritten by AXA). They paid the vet directly within 10 days of a recent (large) claim.

perfectstorm Tue 28-Dec-10 22:02:51

E&L have such a bad reputation my old vet wouldn't do the charging to the insurers with them - would any other insurer. Apparently they are infamous for refusing to pay out.

JaxTellersOldLady Tue 28-Dec-10 22:03:20

VAL check with your vets if they will take payments directly from your insurance company. It isnt to do with the insurance companies really, it is about whether the Vet accepts it.

If you have a good relationship with the vets, usually they will let the insurance co pay direct.

I have Direct Line for Loofa, they dont quibble over anything and our vets submit claims promptly. The issue is that DL take about 10 weeks to pay out! Now you know the thousands of pounds we have had to shell out for Loofa this year and waiting to get it back has been a total pain.

For the puppy we have her insured with Petplan.

hth

x
good luck with everything.

MeowyChristmasEveryone Tue 28-Dec-10 22:07:57

Same as Jax, and PP, my vets insist on payment at the end of each consultation. They say that insurance is no concern of theirs - the policy is between the pet owner and the insurance company, and that the owner has a professional relationship with the veterinary practice, but nothing to do with the insurance company/companies.

Considering how awkward insurance companies can have a reputation for being, I can kind of see their viewpoint.

kormachameleon Tue 28-Dec-10 22:08:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheBigZing Tue 28-Dec-10 22:13:54

I use Sainsburys and have made lots of claims over the years, some of them large, and never had a problem with the vets claiming from them directly.

JaxTellersOldLady Wed 29-Dec-10 09:44:22

We used to use Tesco iirc for our old dog, but didnt have to claim so no idea if they were good or not.

My friend used Tesco insurance - but for building insurance and said they were terrible when she had to claim.

MassiveKnobOfBrandyButter Wed 29-Dec-10 16:51:18

It is down to your vet to decided whther or not they will wait for payment direct from the insurere.

My vet used to do this, but explained that more than a few occasions, there have been problems when the insurers won't pay out, so now they get it straight from the clients who then claim from the insurers.

I just got a payout from Direct Line. Took around 5 weeks from start to finish, but obviously had to pay the vet via credit card first, because it was a large bill.

Direct line are happy to pay the vet, but the vet wouldn't have it, so check with your vet first.

MassiveKnobOfBrandyButter Wed 29-Dec-10 16:53:48

who are E and L by the way?
Thanks

VallhalaLalalalalalalalaaaaaa Wed 29-Dec-10 17:08:24

Thanks for the advice all, I may even look into changing my vet depending on their policy. Will give them a call and ask.

E&L are here, Massive

Lizcat Wed 29-Dec-10 18:36:39

E and L also known as Evil and Lying, please attach a barge pole to the barge pole to shove them out of your reach.
Personally as a practice we accept direct claims from everyone, but evil and lying.
Val so of the stories I can tell you would make your blood boil.

catinthehat2 Wed 29-Dec-10 19:05:05

E&Lon Moneysaving expert - blimey.

catinthehat2 Wed 29-Dec-10 19:12:44

Comparison page for insurance features

MassiveKnobOfBrandyButter Thu 30-Dec-10 05:01:57

thanks for the heads up about E and L. Never heard of them before, but will deffo avoid!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: