Talk

Advanced search

does hand stripping hhurt?

(8 Posts)
ditavonteesed Wed 22-Dec-10 15:53:23

dog been to the groomer for the first time today and bit her blush when she tried to strip her tummy luckily the rest of her didnt need doing and she clipped her tummy, but she told me if I cant stop her doing it they will not be able to strip her and I will have to have her clipped, I really dont want to get her clipped but it made me wonder if it does hurt, everything I have read says it doesnt but then why would she bite?

minimu1 Wed 22-Dec-10 16:17:21

It shouldn't hurt but some dogs do not like people touching parts of their bodies.

I would spend a lot of time over the next few weeks getting your dog used to being touched all over. First just using your hands then maybe a brush etc.

I am surprised at your groomer to be honest they should go gently first time and must have dealt with dogs that have reacted to being groomed before. Not for me to say but possibly look for a new groomer or see if this one will let your dog pop in for a short while to be brushed - for a few minutes and build up to the full strip gradually grin

SeaGreen Thu 23-Dec-10 00:29:37

maybe you can try stripping her yourself?
with a muzzle if need be if it won't work without the muzzle?
at least that way she won't get reported if she bites again.
it can be v uncomfortable for the dog especially on those sensitive areas.
if your dog is older, it's worth thinking about clipping her on the sensitive areas and leaving the stripping for the coat on the shoulders and back.

ditavonteesed Thu 23-Dec-10 07:28:49

not oldre, she is a pup. think I will try and do it myself in future, didnt actually send her for stripping just a bit of a tidy up and a bath as I cant bath her here, is too cold and she stinks and I though a spruce up before xmas would be nice. I have a friend who breeds borders so i think I will ask her to come and help me.

It shouldn't hurt, no. I have a long haired GSD and hand-strip him, as I did my previous long haired Shep. I would be inclined to find another groomer as one which hasn't gained your dog's confidence and seem so concerned by a pup's reaction wouldn't have my confidence in them tbh.

Look on the bright side - my Shep is fully grown and I'm debating on whether or not to bath him this evening. A full bath/dry/groom takes about 2.5 hours and means I get soaked to the skin. See? Your situation could be much worse!

Lotster Thu 23-Dec-10 09:53:00

I seem to be following you around Val!

My Border Terrier went through a phase after neutering where his fur came out less easily and it hurt/annoyed him a bit, but he never actually bit. He's fine now.

Just a thought, not sure neutering affects females' coats the same way?

His tummy is the bit he least likes brushed too so maybe it's her sensitive area. I think she'll get used to the process as long as the next groomer goes gently and slowly.

ditavonteesed Thu 23-Dec-10 10:22:54

val lol at the image you have painted, I would normally bath her myself but our house is cold and it takes me ages to get her dry, also we have my elderly gran coming round on xmas day and I wanted her nails clipping so she wouldnt hurt her if she jumps up. You have made me feel better, I was really focusing on the fact that she bit someone although the lady was not funny about it at all (I guess its a hazard of the job), I think if I get someone to show me how to do it it would be better to do in the evening when she is curled up on my lap. She hasnt been done yet, is mid season so going in for op in Jan, took her at 6months and she was already in season.
Actually you learn something new everyday I thought it was only wire haired dogs that you had to strip.

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Thu 23-Dec-10 10:54:09

dita spend lots of time touching her where she normally wouldn't be touched. do it when she is relaxed after her walk and dinner/breakfast. and reward her for staying relaxed when you are touching her. if she tries to nip no reward but don't refrain from that area, just build it up slowly from somewhere she is comfortable with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now