Talk

Advanced search

Old dog died yesterday, younger one quiet and off food....

(5 Posts)
cotswolder Thu 16-Dec-10 13:28:53

Hi

Our old 17 year old heinz dog died yesterday. Had been ill for a while, going downhill with cancer of spleen amongst other problems and finally told us, as dogs do, that enough was enough - so we took him into the vets where he died in peace bless him.

We also have a 5 year old lab who saw our older one go downhill and collapse (although not die), and who is now wandering round the house a little, is quiet and who has gone off food today. I know dogs will mourn the loss of a friend and we figured we would keep as much to his normal routine as possible.

Anyone any tips for how to help manage this? Big changes ahead in anycase as baby due in 4 weeks.

Thanks

ilsalund Thu 16-Dec-10 20:33:43

Sorry to hear about your dog.

One of our pair of dogs died very unexpectedly last month and the remaining dog was very unsettled and miserable for about ten days.

We tried to establish a new routine straight away and stick to it and we gave him lots of attention (although both dogs always had a lot of attention!)

He's still not 100% happy, but he has perked up and seems to be adapting to our new normality.

Dexterrocks Thu 16-Dec-10 23:24:14

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I hope your younger dog recovers quick and that you can both comfort each other.

cotswolder Sat 18-Dec-10 05:50:19

Thanks both. He hasn't been too bad really and we have tried to get to routine and lots of attention. Not sure if he has a tummy bug or currently unhappy but he has been up most of tonight in and out of garden, hence message at 5.30am!

witchinthewindows Sat 18-Dec-10 08:05:42

awww poor you and poor dog. He's probably very upset hence the tummy thing x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: