Talk

Advanced search

I've done everything suggested....at my wits end now.

(14 Posts)
SantasKnickersOnMyHead Sun 12-Dec-10 22:32:23

Ive tried the whole 'no' in a stern voice. Shoving toys in his mouth when caught chewing something he shouldn't be, Different chews, Kongs, sprays, segregating etc etc etc

He's chewed through the pissing freezer cable, shorting all the plug sockets in the process now.

What, The, Bloody, Hell do I do with this dog????

Previous owner should of been bloody honest about him angry

I love him to bits, he is a great dog, but this chewing lark is his downfall.

kid Sun 12-Dec-10 23:34:31

What a nightmare!

If you can catch him in the act, make a loud noise but don't let him know you made the noise. Let him think he made it and that should scare him from doing it again.

I did try that with my pup when he was climbing on the kitchen side, but obviously I didn't use the right noise as he didn't even flinch!

How old is your dog, how long have you had him?
Yes, I agree the previous owners should have been honest.

SantasKnickersOnMyHead Sun 12-Dec-10 23:39:28

He is 14 months and I have had him 3 months or so now.

Cannot work out how he managed to not get a shock shock

He doesn't listen very often. Made a loud noise when he went to pinch a chocolate from the tree and he did not flinch.

He is lovely though. Just been on a nice walk with him and he is now currently going mad chasing his tail.

witchinthewindows Sun 12-Dec-10 23:46:52

I used to whack a rolled up newspaper on my hand to try and teach naughty dog when he was being bad. Would the water spray trick work, like it does for cats?

witchinthewindows Sun 12-Dec-10 23:48:01

or, why not get in touch with the 'it's me or the dog' team - you could be a mega star and have the pooch sorted out in the process

SantasKnickersOnMyHead Sun 12-Dec-10 23:48:24

Tried water, pebbles in a plastic bottle.

I know people have said before that he should start outgrowing chewing by 18months, but I am moving soon and really want him to move with us!!!

minimu1 Mon 13-Dec-10 08:35:36

If I had a dedicated chewer I would do the following

Make an area that is chew proof - a small room , a playen etc. The dog would not be allowed out of the area unsupervised for his safety

I would exercise the pants off him - a sleeping dog does not chew. If he has a long walk of an hour or two most mornings is popped into a crate he will learn to sleep for another couple of hours.

Then out for training and play for 15 mins and he can be put into his secure area with a mega kong for another two hours.

Then off for afternoon walk.

Can DCs play with him for a bit too in the afternoon?

By the evening he should be tiredish and allowed into a room with you if he is supervised.

Carry on being consistent it does sound as if you have tried many methods. I would use one and stick to it the sound of you voice is the easiest so a loud "aah haaa" everytime he does get the wrong thing to chew and praise wehn he backs off and give correct chew item.

However my major attack would be prevention rather than correction.

ALso you have not had him very long chewing is a great anxiety release for dogs so he could still be adjusting to the new situation - you could try a DAP collar as well to chill him out or some Tellington Touch massages

silentcatastrophe Mon 13-Dec-10 18:37:40

Our pup has just started chewing again, which is exactly what we were told he would do. I really wonder sometimes why people have dogs! We forget what bloody hard work they are, and that they go through adolecence, and like children, it's 'probably only a phase' and 'they'll grow out of it'. Not such fun when you're in it and at your wits' end. Our dog bolts, which is infuriating, so he cannot be let off his lead. He goes for hours on end, and on hearing our voices, takes it as time to go off for more. Our trainer has told us that it is a stage, and that a spray collar might help. I'm glad your dog hasn't shorted himself. What a bugger for you though.

booyhohoho Mon 13-Dec-10 18:38:59

do you think he might have hearing problems if he didn't flinch when you made a loud noise?

TheMonster Mon 13-Dec-10 23:02:36

How much exercise is he getting? At that age a dog needs a lot of exercise and stimulation. My dog needed good walk for at least an hour twice a day couple with plenty of stimulation and play when he was that age. Have you considered training classes, not so much for training but for stimulation?

ditavonteesed Tue 14-Dec-10 08:12:31

For some reason I think you are near me, if I say san beres pork sandwich shop that should give it away, if you are I go to a training class that I will gove you details of and my friend knows of another one. also considering taking my dog to agilty soon so know of where there is a class, lots of stimulation, I may however be totally wrong.

SantasKnickersOnMyHead Tue 14-Dec-10 12:21:30

Not overly far from there Dita, in the west grin

He gets 4, hour (ish) long walks a day. He's a bolter too....will not listen. I thought maybe something wrong with hearing but then he can hear a sweet wrapper being open from the other side of the house!

ditavonteesed Tue 14-Dec-10 12:41:15

sounbds like plenty of excercise then. deffo try m9ore mental stimulation. the class I go to is on a thurs night but not on again till after xmas, starts at 6.30 in hills arena, there is another one in wads bridge run by and ex police dog trainer but I dont know days and times, will try and find out for you though, training classes are great just for getting to talk yo other dog owners as well as stim ulating the dogs.

SantasKnickersOnMyHead Tue 14-Dec-10 14:48:56

Will deff look into training for him..than you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: