Talk

Advanced search

Weird behaviour from dog over baby

(7 Posts)
MemooMerrilyOnHigh Thu 09-Dec-10 15:13:24

We have a 2 year old cross bitch that we got from the rescue centre a few years ago. She is a really loving dog, loves the DC, never snaps at them; in fact I think she believes she is one of the kids. She even tries to sit on their knees when they are on the floor.

We had DD2 14 months ago and the dog has been amazing with her, she has the odd little sniff but has never tried to even lick her.

Just recently she has starting pinching things that belong to the baby and putting them in her bed. She tries to hide them by lying on them when we are around. So far she has taken a few dummies, baby clothes (always worn ones) Bibs, and teething rings.

The dogs behaviour isn't random, its always the babys things that she takes, does anyone know why a dog would be doing this?

Slubberdegullion Thu 09-Dec-10 15:38:21

Maybe she just really likes the baby's smell grin and who could blame her, baby smell mmmm...<drifts off>

My dog collects things in her basket. Anything with a human (esp foot) smell will be in there in a flash. If my slippers aren't on my feet their under the dog in her basket, fisrt place I look for them now.

midori1999 Thu 09-Dec-10 16:02:59

I think what happens when she takes the babies things will be a big clue.

Are the babies things left laying around more than other things? Are the babies things more likely to be seen as 'new and exciting' by the dog?

I wouldn't read too much into it. I would probably make sure the babies things are kept out of her way and if you see her picking up something that belongs to the baby say 'no' and swap for something that is the dogs.

BeenBeta Thu 09-Dec-10 16:17:28

Please dont ever leave a baby/toddler even for a moment with the dog.

Sorry but really please dont. The dog is taking things that belong to your baby which tells me there is some kind of baby/dog issue going on here. I dont know what it is but I suspect the baby is a rival for your affection as far as the dog is concerned and the taking of the baby possessions is a manifestation of that.

BeerTricksPotter Thu 09-Dec-10 16:22:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Scuttlebutter Thu 09-Dec-10 16:25:07

Another one here who owns a "collector" - I really wouldn't read too much significance in to the stockpiling, guess it is just the attractive smell/chewability. Doubt she is clever enough to hide things - just is happy lying among the spoils.. Ours has a lair that looks like Steptoes' yard at times and there he is fast asleep in the middle of it, looking like butter wouldn't melt.... smile

MemooMerrilyOnHigh Thu 09-Dec-10 18:18:14

I don't think she's jealous either, we already have 4 DC before DD2 so the dog is use to having to share our attention. That said though we never do leave the baby and the dog alone, I really don't think she'd ever harm her but it isn't worth the risk to find out.

The dog does seem to like the baby, she gets really unsettled when she cries. She knows she isn't allowed to touch her so I wonder if her collecting things is a way of getting close to her.

Scuttle, your dog sounds gorgeous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now