Talk

Advanced search

Dog driving me mad

(5 Posts)
ABudafulSightWereHappyTonight Thu 02-Dec-10 17:31:00

6 month old lab pup. Second dog. She is a nightmare. Lab crossed with kangaroo and a direct descendent of Houdini.

Has found route into neighbour's garden at the back of our house. We are in Hungary in a rented house. It is the neighbour's fence so really their responsibility to fix but they haven't. Landlord is aware but has history with them. His workmen blocked up on escape route last week and now she has found another one. Have had to go get her twice today. She can get in but either can't or won't come back. Tempted to just bloody leave her there on the basis that she seems to want to be there but both the other dog and DS are not keen!

Other issue is jumping up at table and work-surfaces in the kitchen. Yesterday she pulled down a bowl of tomatoes. This morning a spoon and this afternoon a fork. I keep saying 'NO' and 'DOWN' but it is not working. Other dog never did it so am at a loss.

Any suggestions please before she gets posted to Vietnam where they eat dogs. She is not taking that threat seriously either!

Batteryhuman Thu 02-Dec-10 18:35:23

Ah the joys of an adolescent lab, <gazes down at9 year old hearth rug>. All the labs I know have been a bit of a handful between 6 and 18 months, all that energy and brainpower. My advice would be to exercise her brain and body more. Clicker training would help with the jumping up thing as most labs are very food orientated and learn very fast that they get the click and treat with feet on the ground. I'll leave it to one of the pro dog trainers on here to explain further.

She will grow up......if you don't send her to Vietnam first!

ABudafulSightWereHappyTonight Thu 02-Dec-10 21:51:58

Thanks for sympathy. She is not getting enough exercise. Partly because she is a bloody nightmare onthe lead. And I know it is a vicious circle and that with more exercise she would be less of a nightmare but I dread taking her out.

Had problems with first dog pulling on lead so got halti collar as recommended on here but second dog goes mad if I try the halt . Will not have it.

Have a clicker. Never tried it. It sounds complicated. Will look into it.

Batteryhuman Fri 03-Dec-10 13:53:17

Labs are too big to let them pull! Your poor arm. If you search clicker training on here there are some really good explanations, or Karen Pryor is the guru. She has a website.

Clicker training can cure pulling. It is so worth it. Good luck.

ABudafulSightWereHappyTonight Fri 03-Dec-10 14:23:28

Thanks Batteryhuman - have ordered her book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now