Talk

Advanced search

What's the best footwear/accessory for walking on packed snow and ice?

(11 Posts)
DooinMeCleanin Wed 01-Dec-10 22:12:14

It's as much for dd2 as The Devil Dog. I need to be able to carry her steadily or I will go insane before the end of winter.

Although I am really struggling With TDD too. He is not getting walked as long as he should do because I am get sick of him deciding he wants to stop and sniff something, I don't notice beacuse I am too busy watching for patches of slippy, shiny ice, the leash goes tight and pulls me back over and I end up on my arse angry

I have been looking at YakTrax pro, but would they be more slippery when I am crossing roads (which tend be covered in v thin or black ice)? Someone on a review site mention Golf shoes/trainers being an option? Or hiking boots?

There are also some walking boots I like.

Bella32 Wed 01-Dec-10 22:26:23

I've got ice cleats - they are great on packed snow or thick ice, but on normal surfaces they just feel odd, not slippy. I also have walking boots grin but they can be a bit slippy. I use both together when it's very icy or snowy.

DooinMeCleanin Wed 01-Dec-10 22:32:40

Which ice cleats? YakTrax are like chains www.yaktrax.co.uk/yaktrax-shop/catalog/product/gal lery/id/44/image/122/ that's why i think they would be more slippery maybe.

Will definately be ordering the walking bots, because they look lovely and snug.

huffythethreadslayer Wed 01-Dec-10 22:47:06

I use Yaktrax and have found them really good on both ice and snow. I wear them over a pair of cheapish Hitech walking boots. I haven't falled in nearly 2 years thanks to these little beauties and I live on the hilliest hill in Sheffield! Which is pretty hilly

WilfShelf Wed 01-Dec-10 22:56:55

No dog here but I love ice grips (google 'em)
They saved many broken bones last winter...

They are absolutely NOT slippery on any ice (they dig in) but you do have to take them off indoors as they ruin floors!

Bella32 Wed 01-Dec-10 23:07:32

Mine are like these

DooinMeCleanin Wed 01-Dec-10 23:10:54

Thank you will order some. They are like the ones Wilf told me to google.

Will also nag Dh to put the last MandM oder in and add my walking boots to the list grin

DooinMeCleanin Wed 01-Dec-10 23:45:54

Ordered so I guarentee that within 4-6 days all the snow will be gone and it will be unfeasibly hot for winter. Still, that would be worth £20 grin

Bella32 Thu 02-Dec-10 07:46:39

grin

BeerTricksPotter Thu 02-Dec-10 07:59:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeerTricksPotter Fri 03-Dec-10 13:31:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now