Talk

Advanced search

20 week pup and previously good recall gone to pot suddenly. Just been told off in the park. Waaah!

(8 Posts)
30andMerkin Fri 26-Nov-10 12:00:25

Feeling v.blue.

Whilst my pup has many many naughty habits,his recall was ok-ish to voice, and really quite good to whistle. I could call him back from other exciting dogs etc.

In the past week-10 days it's gone to pot, and although he hangs close to me on unfamiliar walks, in the park and places he knows, he's off to play with and jump at other walkers and dogs, and now he won't come back.

We established the whistle by using it just before feeding, and then when out on walks I always always gave a good treat when he racalled for it, and he 97% always came back to it. Now he ignores it.

Why has this suddenly gone to shit - is it just teenager time? - and how do I get it back? SHall I go back to using the whistle before meal times?

Got told off by scary Alpha Puppy Mummy in the park today who had her 15 week old out for the first time. She suggested I try obedience classes. I've been going for over 2 months and they're full of praise for him there. I nearly blubbed sad

coatgate Fri 26-Nov-10 14:46:27

Oh don't listen to other silly women. They all go through phases, and he is only a puppy fgs. What is he? My springer has been through more phases than I care to remember, including his last one which involved being aggressive with other dogs. Now that did get me tutted at/shouted at/pointed at. I always felt dreadful. He has just turned three and another corner hopefully, as he is back to playing with other dogs, albeit rather over enthusiastically. But his recall is now fabulous (except where ducks/hens are concerned). Have faith, and smile sweetly at the Alpha dog owners and move on.

30andMerkin Mon 29-Nov-10 17:58:06

Thanks for that coat, I think she just caught me on a bad day. He's lovely really (although his recall is now SHOCKING!).
Just bumping this for the dog-training experts!

morethanyoubargainfor Mon 29-Nov-10 18:04:23

you will come out the other side as all dogs do this usually between the age of 16-20 weeks as this is when they suddenly start to feel all grown up and independent.

This is why it is good to let pups off the lead before 16 weeks so they learn before they get all bolshy!!!!

Just continue doing what you are doing and it should soon revert back to great recall!

Don't change your behaviour otherwise you may be teaching him not coming back when called is a good thing! IYKWIM.

Just wait until he is about 6-8 months old and decdes he no longer wants to get in the car grin.

whiteliesaregoodlies Mon 29-Nov-10 19:07:26

This is like the puppy equivalent of the Terrible Twos isn't it?!

kid Mon 29-Nov-10 22:01:06

My pup is still pretty good with his recall, but there is no point in even trying to recall him if there is another dog in sight.
At least not until he has decided that he has had enough of playing. Then he will come back when I call him.

Food usually helps get him back, but just lately, he is getting freaked out by lots of things that never bothered him before. When that happens, he just bolts which makes me too scared to let him off lead if I am out by myself.

Don't worry, Rudy is now totally deaf, impossibly naughty and very turned on by me in a dressing gownhmmgrin.

It will pass, stay calm, if he doesn't come back fetch him, take more intersting treats to the park and show them to him before you let him off,u also arm yourself with sqeeky toys and the like, ones he isn't allowed at home.

Just up the ante really and try and make yourself more interesting than whatever else is interesting him.

It is a very testing time but fortunately pretty short lived.

30andMerkin Tue 30-Nov-10 14:46:29

Hi all, thanks for the responses. Good to know it's not just me grin

Serves me right for thinking that my whistle was a 'Get out of Jail' card that always worked. Am now doing special bonus bonanza whistles in all sorts of places to get him running to me for chicken. The neighbours must think I'm barking when then see me hiding behind the conservatory going 'peep peep' !

The problem WWTWW is that I could be literally wearing steak like Lady Gaga, and waving a chew toy, and I STILL wouldn't be as intersting as another dog. NOthing is as much fun as a massive Boxer to go and wrestle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now