Talk

Advanced search

Puppy Day Care, I don't get it... can someone explain to me what's the point of it?

(9 Posts)
chandra Mon 01-Nov-10 20:47:20

Because I sincerely don't get it. Why would people take a dog to a cold kennel, full of barking dogs, when it can stay much warmer (and calmer) at home?

Honest question, not criticising, it is just that I don't get it but then I'm probably not aware of what circumstances make uppy Day Care a good option...

DooinMeCleanin Mon 01-Nov-10 20:49:45

If they are out at work all day and need someone to care for the dog. You cannot leave a puppy unattended all day long.

I am currently applying for a job which means I will be out of the huse between 8am and 4pm. If I get it and DH also gets f/t work a dog walker will be hired to take my dogs out for an hour at around 2pm. It's not fair to leave them alone for that length of time.

chandra Mon 01-Nov-10 21:00:09

I would understand a dog walker, but I am not convinced about the kennels and the expense. What would make a good puppy day care service?

I have two dogs, one absolutely loves to go to kennels (because he adores barking at unrestrained leisure, I suppose), the other one finds the noise very distressing.

I have a friend who was made redundant and being so near to her retirement she is finding it very very difficult to get another job. She absolutely adores dogs and knows how to take good care of them (even applying injections, etc as her last dog, a rescued one, was not only blind but also diabetic). She is at home all the time, so at some point I wondered if she could be doing some puppy day care stuff at home, perhaps one or 2 dogs? She certainly have enough space for them to exercise.

iloverhubarbcrumble Tue 02-Nov-10 22:35:51

Because it's not a cold kennel, it's a warm home with a bigger garden than ours and - great excitment - up to three other dogs to play with.

We now use this lovely local daycare very occasionally - I'm happy to leave our puppy for up to 3 hours on her own at home but not longer. I get a great break for whole day, get masses done, the dog has a great time from 9.30 - 4pm (could be longer but I don't need it). I know that she's used to it if I need it when I go back to work - would happily use for 1 or 2 days/week, not more - or in any kind of emergency. Also for overnighters in time.

The dog walker alternative for halfway through the day doesn't work yet, as the puppy can't go on long walks.

Don't know any large, barky kennels type places - I think that there are quite a few of these more homely versions available.

Chandra your friend sounds ideal - she shoudl consider setting up - the lady who runs the place we use is a single mum with two teenage boys and this suits her perfectly.

chandra Tue 02-Nov-10 22:55:19

May I ask what is the going rate for dog day care? I have suggested taking care of dogs during their owners holidays, as an alternative to a kennel but wonder if she could do the day care instead.

WhereTheWildThingsWere Wed 03-Nov-10 10:08:10

A good day care centre is not leaving them in a cold kennel, but is like a creche for dogs, see here.

iloverhubarbcrumble Wed 03-Nov-10 15:06:36

£20 for a day, London/Surrey price. From between 8-10am till 4-6pm.

chandra Wed 03-Nov-10 20:37:01

WOW! have to say that that day care looks better than my child's former nursery. And charges barely the same.

Thank you all, this have opened my eyes to puppy day care.

lillybloom Sun 07-Nov-10 22:24:43

My lovely puppy goes to daycare. She gets picked up at 8 and brought back at 4. Its NOT a kennel. She is treated as part of the family and evenhas her favourite chair in the livingroom. I'd be lost without it and the carer is so good, with training, grooming etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: