Talk

Advanced search

Who has the remote control in your house?

(32 Posts)
spidermama Fri 22-Jul-05 14:16:44

I always have to have it. I'm tense if I'm watching telly and the remote isn't within easy reach.

I'm forever tweaking the volume, pressing mute for the adverts etc. It must be very annoying.

purpleturtle Fri 22-Jul-05 14:17:17

Me. Because dh likes to occupy the moral high ground of not liking tv.

Hulababy Fri 22-Jul-05 14:18:47

DH normally has it. I don't atch much TV.

moozoboozo Fri 22-Jul-05 14:19:36

DP. In fact, last week, DS picked up the remote and said "Dadda"

Says it all really

hamster Fri 22-Jul-05 14:22:03

Me too, me too!
I can't have it away from my sofa arm, or on the coffee table next to me, it has to be with me.
I too mute the ads, it gives your brain a break for a few minutes! lol
Dp has accepted it now, it will never be his, and never tries to get it.

PeachyClair Fri 22-Jul-05 14:22:35

Me, because I read text on one side and watch TV the other, it has been asked if I have ADHD, I would say possibly

spidermama Fri 22-Jul-05 14:23:11

Purpleturtle my dh also turns his nose up at telly. I'm often a bit humiliated to be caught watching it. However, being housebound as I am (can't go out because of kids) I've been finding the Big Borther housemates to be entertaining company.

Miaou Fri 22-Jul-05 14:30:45

Hehehehehe purpleturtle

Dh. Because I like to occupy the moral high ground of not liking tv.

mind you I was up first today and turned it on but only to watch news24 following on from yesterday's incidents.

Miaou Fri 22-Jul-05 14:32:30

See, I'm still occupying the moral high ground by trying to justify my choice of channel

spidermama Fri 22-Jul-05 14:34:04

My DH thinks daytime TV is evil and dangerous.

However, I like nothing better than to watch Nigella when I'm breastfeeding. (Another great reason to prolong the breastfeeding )

purpleturtle Fri 22-Jul-05 18:23:59

Sorry, spidermama, the BB Housemates are MY best friends, I think you'll find.

Preggars Fri 22-Jul-05 18:48:52

Me! I also get tense if I don't have it. Thankfully DH humors my obsession! However, my brother and I fought over the control all our childhood.

RTKangaMummy Fri 22-Jul-05 19:14:57

I ALWAYS have it

but we have several TVs so don't care who has the others but whichever I am watching the remotes are within a few centimetres of my hands

I mute adverts too

purpleturtle Fri 22-Jul-05 19:15:50

I turn over during adverts!

Lonelymum Fri 22-Jul-05 19:17:29

No-one usually. We have four remotes to be precise: one for the TV, one for the video, one for the DVD and one for the cable box (only new, that one) They are usually all always lost somewhere. For some reason, we call them "blippers" and the cry of "Where is the blipper?" is frequent in our house.

lucylady Fri 22-Jul-05 19:21:43

My DD2 thinks she owns the remote in our house.
It is never far from her side. She walks about with it in her hand. If I want to change a channel she insists she has to do it. She knows all the channel numbers that we watch reg. The other day when I couldnot see it anywhere I asked her where it was and she showed me inside her toybag that shed brought down from her bedroom . It was safely tucked away with the rest of her toys!!

RTKangaMummy Fri 22-Jul-05 19:38:11

LL how old is she?

pixel Fri 22-Jul-05 19:39:08

At the moment it's my ds because it's his latest obsession. He has taught himself to use all the different remotes and can even put his favourite bit of his Bob the Builder dvd on a loop, something I wouldn't have a clue how to do. (not bad for a kid whose statement says 'severe learning difficulties'!). It's very annoying but we are putting up with it atm because a\ there is nothing on worth watching anyway and b\ we will be on holiday soon and that will break his habit hopefully! No remotes in a tent!

daisy1999 Fri 22-Jul-05 19:40:19

me! although I have to fight my 6 yr old for it now!!

okapi Fri 22-Jul-05 19:41:26

it's a fight between dh, ds1 (6) and ds2 (3)

it's a guy thing

spidermama Fri 22-Jul-05 19:42:55

'Blippers' eh lonleymum? That's a new one on me. I've heard of remote controls being called 'zappers' before.

We started calling ours the 'dexter' some years ago. For some reason it then became known as the 'dexter mandible'. Lord knows why.

lucylady Fri 22-Jul-05 19:53:52

RTK My DD2 is 4y.

RTKangaMummy Fri 22-Jul-05 20:00:24

LL DEFFO BRILL

sorrel Fri 22-Jul-05 20:05:57

I Always have control of THE ZIMMER( why do we call it that-?no idea. perhaps because we will end up on zimmer frames from lack of movement)

Dh has it now for payback. He is watching Stargate Atlantis(WTF!) in exchange for uninterupted BB viewing later.

lucylady Fri 22-Jul-05 20:07:38

We call it THE DOOFER in our house.
Dont know why!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now