Talk

Advanced search

Ds upset by kids t.v.

(27 Posts)
kazoo Thu 16-Jun-05 13:50:40

Anyone elses children get upset (actual tears) when they see certain things on kids programmes? For instance ds(18 months) cries whenever the animated tapdancing bear is on the teletubbies. He got very upset when the clown was on Big cook Little cook. Only yesterday he cried and moaned when Gordon was derailed on Thomas the Tank Engine.

nailpolish Thu 16-Jun-05 13:52:18

that bloomin' house with the wierd face on step inside, and the freaky cat too. dd makes me switch over

Magscat Thu 16-Jun-05 13:58:25

My ds used to be scared of the bloke on Smarteenies that does 'Big Picture Little Picture' and some episodes on his Thomas video where the diesels are nasty used to upset him and we always had to fast forward.
He likes Smarteenies now though and says things like 'he's not scary now' and the others he's got used to because he knows there's a happy ending.
It's perfectly normal, don't worry.

Mum2girls Thu 16-Jun-05 14:04:00

DD2 (2yrs 6months)scared of the Bear in Bear in the Big Blue House.

aloha Thu 16-Jun-05 14:05:04

My ds (3) was so scared of the 'red man' on Smarteenies he refused to watch tv full stop for months!

Marina Thu 16-Jun-05 14:13:52

How could anyone not love gurning Mark from Smarteenies
I used to scream and scream at Rolf Harris apparently, rolling on the carpet until my mother emerged from the kitchen to turn him off...
Ds loved Smarteenies but found the silent gliding ships and that sinister bear on Teletubbies frightening too kazoo

emmamama Thu 16-Jun-05 14:18:44

DH has a scar on his head where he fell over trying to run away from Paulus the Woodgnome. He still can't talk about it!

Tissy Thu 16-Jun-05 14:27:38

Dd(3) is scared of all of the baddies in Disney films- so that's all of them then; and we have to FF through the bad bits, so we miss the plot, and she then has to ask what's happening. She even won't watch one episode of Dora the Explorer because a nasty man shuts up all of the musical instruments in a box! Bizarrely she seems to love Harry Potter and Doctor Who with "real" baddies and really scary monsters. Odd child.

saadia Thu 16-Jun-05 14:30:33

This is so weird - ds1 now nearly 3 and a half is and always has been scared of the red man (with blonde hair) on Smarteenies - he always runs and turns the TV off when that guy's on.

The dancing bear on Teletubbies freaked him out as well, as did that man with the musical organ who thinks he's funny. He was also terrified anytime a Jack-in-the-box was shown. I think he would find clowns scary too. I actually can see why some of these supposedly funny things would scare children - they look a bit freaky.

madmarchhare Thu 16-Jun-05 14:31:04

There seems to be a theme here, DS frightened of 'big picture little picture' and the ships on teletubbies too.

saadia Thu 16-Jun-05 14:32:17

Funnily enough ds loves the Step Inside house.

colditz Thu 16-Jun-05 14:57:12

My ds used to scream at the music to Come Outside

lilaclotus Thu 16-Jun-05 15:00:02

oh not exactly kids tv, but my dd cried her eyes out over piglet's big movie. and i was in tears as well. i thought it was going to be such a fun happy film and it was so depressing!

toothyboy Thu 16-Jun-05 16:08:46

Oh my God - big picture little picture here too for a while - OK now though!! DS just cries when favourite programmes end!

Magscat Thu 16-Jun-05 20:01:22

So Kazoo, are you reassured that there's loads of us out here with kids who get scared of things on telly? And some common themes too.
DS is nearly 4 now and not scared of anything you see on CBeebies anymore. Have never let him watch Dr Who or similar though.

He has a vivid imagination & stories can set him off too - e.g. he constantly asks if there are wolves in the woods if we drive past more than half a dozen trees together! (Blame Little Red Riding Hood).

Tissy Thu 16-Jun-05 20:04:06

just incase anyone thinks I let my dd watch Harry Potter and Dr. Who, I don't, she saw them at a cousin's house, and I was livid, but for no good reason, apparently!

drdad Thu 16-Jun-05 21:16:30

Yes, the house on Step Inside is scary (and all the puppets in the programme, as well as being the most hideous ever presented on television, have horrible, horrible voices). More disturbing, though, is Chris Jarvis's 'performance' as Mr Mopple. He seems to be trying to outcamp himself every episode. His reading of The Gruffalo the other day sounded like Kenneth Williams on helium.

dinny Thu 16-Jun-05 21:21:44

dd is really scared of the beginning bit of Storymakers when a voice whispers "Storymakers" and it goes dark.

Gwenick Thu 16-Jun-05 21:29:06

I must have odd kids (or simply let them watch too much TV ) neither of them (18 months and 4 3/4yrs) are/have been afraid of anything on the kids channels

Orinoco Thu 16-Jun-05 21:49:00

Message withdrawn

toothyboy Thu 16-Jun-05 21:50:07

My ds loves the scary house - he calls it the Funny House!

madmarchhare Thu 16-Jun-05 22:08:28

Ooo yes, I forgot about the house on Teletubbies. In fact Im not too happy about that either!

Melpomene Thu 16-Jun-05 23:04:46

I was making dinner in the kitchen this evening while dd was watching Storymakers in the sitting room. Suddenly she burst into tears and ran into the kitchen sobbing. I asked her what the matter was and she said "rubbish cow story. rubbish cow. Turn it off."

They were showing a blue cow story.

hunkermunker Thu 16-Jun-05 23:10:26

YES! DS cries at the butterfly on Baby Bright 2 and at lots of the puppets on Baby Einstein. He's 14mo. It suddenly upsets him and he's inconsolable and just wants a cuddle, then he's fine again seconds later. Or he wants to watch but from my lap whilst sucking his fingers and hiding his face occasionally!

Not so much on kids TV, and he LOVES things with catchy theme tunes or music in them (like Countdown...!).

moonunit Thu 16-Jun-05 23:49:27

my ds used to be scared of "big picture, little picture" man on smarteenies too. and all of the teletubbies bits, dancing bear, little man running round house turning lights on and off, ships on the sea, etc. It's strange how many toddlers are all scared of these, when the programme makers thought it was suitable tv for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now