Talk

Advanced search

Britain's Really Disgusting Food

(6 Posts)
Monadami Tue 03-Nov-09 00:06:01

On BBC3. The presenter investigated what went into many of Britain's cheaper food items,this episode focussing on Burgers.

I personally didn't understand the disgust he and others had with burgers containing a Cow's heart. I grew up in a poor family, where Cow's Heart, Pig Tail and Trotters were the norm.

For goodness sake, most supermarkets sell ox tongue and no one seems to think that's vile. I mean those same tongues have probably been licking other Oxon bottoms.

We also have no problem with eating the other organs of animals, like their livers, kidneys and intestines.

whomovedmychocolatecookie Tue 03-Nov-09 23:01:50

I'll eat most parts of an animal and have no issues with offal but the whole connective tissue thing he did yesterday on cheap meat was a bit boaksome.

kormaAAAARRRRGGHHchameleon Tue 03-Nov-09 23:03:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsWeasley Wed 04-Nov-09 16:06:43

It has shocked me and I was disgusted. I realised how niave I have been all these years. It has made be angry with myself.

I certainly wont be buying any "meat products" again the words Mechanically recovered" and "connective tissues" have been ringing around my head all day
envy=vomit

Monadami Wed 04-Nov-09 19:39:22

I always knew the Supermarket's cheaper brands, like their "value" products were full of rubbish, so would never ever buy any of it or even accept it if it was given free.

Years ago, my mum worked for a well known sausage factory, she used to tell us stories of what sometimes went into the meat products and at times pig feaces ended up in products.

MrsWeasley Wed 04-Nov-09 22:31:31

I never bought the value ones as I worry about whats in them (we call them floor sweepings) I am glad I dont really like meat so will just not eat it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now