Talk

Advanced search

HOW RACIST ARE YOU???? ~~~~ CH 4 NOW

(102 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Thu 29-Oct-09 21:59:21

NOW

RTKangaMummy Thu 29-Oct-09 22:01:02

Are we all more racist than we realise or would like to admit?
For this Channel 4 documentary Jane Elliott, a controversial former schoolteacher from Ohio, is recreating the shocking exercise she used forty years ago to teach her nine-year-old pupils about prejudice.
Elliott is asking thirty adult British volunteers - men and women of different ages and backgrounds - to experience inequality based on their eye colour to show how susceptible we can all be to bigotry, and what it feels like to be on the other side of arbitrary discrimination.
Does Elliott's exercise still have something to teach us four decades on and in a different country? Presented by Krishnan Guru-Murthy, the exercise is observed throughout by two expert psychologists, Prof Dominic Abrams and Dr Funké Baffour, who will be unpicking the behaviour on display.

RTKangaMummy Thu 29-Oct-09 22:01:53

NOW

LittlePeanut Thu 29-Oct-09 22:06:46

Ooh thanks, I'd forgotten this was on tonight. Have just switched over!

RTKangaMummy Thu 29-Oct-09 22:08:34

you're welcome

I am recording for DS cos i think it will be interesting

TheMummyonElkStreet Thu 29-Oct-09 22:09:29

i watched a similar idea of this on Ricky LAke, of all things, years ago..it was VERY scary...she more or less got everyone saying blonds were dumb and brunettes clever....really vehemently...be interesting to see what happens

RTKangaMummy Thu 29-Oct-09 22:11:39

btw my DS is 14 years cos realise it may not be suitable for younger ones

EyeballsintheSky Thu 29-Oct-09 22:17:29

I'm looking forward to this. We used her exercise a lot when I did sociology but this is the first time I've seen it rather than read it.

GhoulishFan Thu 29-Oct-09 22:18:23

I'm watching... she really put the cat amongst the pigeons in the 60s - wonder how she'll be taken nowadays

GhoulishFan Thu 29-Oct-09 22:22:02

Has that young bloke TOTALLY missed the point of this event? or is he a planted "voice of reason" against the teacher?

mumblecrumble Thu 29-Oct-09 22:41:58

Eerr. Nah. This is totally pish and really annoying me.

mumblecrumble Thu 29-Oct-09 22:42:56

SOrry if above sounds agressive. just very frustrating.

ANy one lesy feeling?

ginnny Thu 29-Oct-09 22:45:23

That blonde woman is getting on my nerves. I'm going to switch off and go to bed!

supersalstrawberry Thu 29-Oct-09 22:45:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stainesmassif Thu 29-Oct-09 22:47:05

just joining in - does the blonde haired, blue eyed woman REALLY believe she's experienced as much racism as black people? surely not. surely she's cringeing now. maybe we'll see by the end that people's eyes have been opened.

supersalstrawberry Thu 29-Oct-09 22:48:41

supersalstrawberry Thu 29-Oct-09 22:50:20

GhoulishFan Thu 29-Oct-09 22:50:32

She's being stupid... dressing a rugby player in a suit is NOT the same as a black bloke turning up and being the ONLY one on the playground who MAY receive bad treatment (or his daughter, long term)

She's SO blind..... AND she nearly said "coloured" and just used "half cast" - now tell me she doesn't have racist tendencies!!! ("I'm surprised her skin was pink.."!! wtf?)

JesusChristOtterStar Thu 29-Oct-09 22:50:33

oh deaer dear dear

EyeballsintheSky Thu 29-Oct-09 22:50:47

WTF. Black people are the same underneath? No shit sherlock. This woman is a teacher?!

TheMummyonElkStreet Thu 29-Oct-09 22:50:53

did that blond teacher just say that?!! about the little girl falling over?!!!!!!!!!

GhoulishFan Thu 29-Oct-09 22:52:36

shock stupid bint

ginnny Thu 29-Oct-09 22:52:44

She does like the sound of her own voice doesn't she.
"My dh has to conform - he has to wear a suit and talk beautifully when he'd rather be wearing a rugby shirt"
Yeh thats exactly the same as the guy who didn't want to pick his dd up from school in case she got picked on for having a mixed race dad hmm
Silly cow!

Wilts Thu 29-Oct-09 22:53:09

I missed that she was a teacher shock

Milliways Thu 29-Oct-09 22:53:36

RTKM, if your DS finds this interesting (My DS is watching) he may want to try get the German fil (subtitled) called Die Welle which based on a true story about a project with kids to explain how life under a Dictatorship can happen. Brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now