Talk

Advanced search

DVDs for a liberal feminist 2.5yo?

(60 Posts)
LissyGlitter Mon 26-Oct-09 13:14:36

I have a 2.5 yo DD and another baby due soon, and was wanting to buy DD some dvds to distract her while I am feeding/too tired/etc.

DP has banned all disney, but particularly disney princess, from the house, on feminist grounds. I personally think he is over-reacting slightly, and so have smuggled finding nemo and happy feet in (which he accepted with a bit of grumbling), and am wondering what else would be suitable.

He maintains that she is happy with Doctor Who and such, but I think that mostly goes over her head, and would like her to enjoy some proper "little kid" films while she is still little enough to get caught up in all the magic.

Ambi Mon 26-Oct-09 13:18:36

All disney? How the hell is Jungle Book feminist?

LissyGlitter Mon 26-Oct-09 13:18:51

We found a cartoon version of Animal Farm second hand for a quid the other day - is it something I need to watch myself before letting DD watch it, or has it been sanitised from the book?

LissyGlitter Mon 26-Oct-09 13:20:40

I think I may be able to get away with older disney, he hasn't really explained his objections to me properly. I think he mainly just finds them irritating tbh.

angelene Mon 26-Oct-09 13:20:46

Mary Poppins
Wallace & Gromit
Jungle Book

CBeebies DVDs are good as well as they provide quite a bit of variety (or you could just put the telly on).

This is controversial (and your DD is probably a year at least away from them) but I think HSM is great, and I am a feminist. DD (4yo) loves it, the singing and dancing is fantastic, there is a 'don't sell yourself short' message and also a fantastic comic turn by Ashley Tidsdale.

It's a hell of a lot more feminist than Princesses anyway.

BornToFolk Mon 26-Oct-09 13:22:53

Not Animal Farm! Not if it's the one I'm thinking of anyway, would trauamtise a toddler!

DS and I are really enjoying the Sesame Street podcasts at the moment. You can get Old School Sesame Street DVDs too.

TanteRoseFromTheDead Mon 26-Oct-09 13:24:11

Studio Ghilbli for younger children - My Friend Totoro, of course. The young girls in that have to cope on their own in various situations (mother is in hospital, father is at work). Wonderful fantasy story
And Kiki's Delivery Service is great - shows an independent young girl, who has to spend a year on her own making her own living, as part of her training to be a witch.
Some of the more recent films (Spirited Away, Howl's moving castle) are too scary for a 2.5 year old, IMO...

neolara Mon 26-Oct-09 13:26:56

Maisy Mouse Dvds have gone down very well with my two at around 2 1/2.

Also my 2 1/2 year old is very keen on Scooby Doo (Velma ALWAYS solves the mysteries, Fred and Shaggy are frankly a bit dopey) although his fondness might be because of his older sister's devotion to it.

My father was sent to the video shop with us (aged 6&4) to get a cartoon. He came back, and let us watch, Animal Farm. He got an earful from my mother when she found out and weeks of unbroken sleep because of the nightmares it caused. I would think Watership Down would have a similar effect.

Your partner, in the nicest possible way, is being an idiot your DD is 2.5, tell him if you are not allowed to get disney he is in charge of keeping her occupied whilst you feed the baby.

francaghostohollywood Mon 26-Oct-09 13:38:58

I second Maisy, the most independent, liberated female mouse in the world. And my dc are - at 5 and 7- still partial to her charms!

Songbird Mon 26-Oct-09 13:39:39

Toy Story? Fair enough on the Disney Princesses thing, I must say. Saw Lilo and Stitch the other day, that was good. Positive female character: realistically flawed as a 'mother', and chunky thighs - what's not to like?

But she is only 2.5. DD didn't have the concentration for a 90 minute film at that age - more than happy with Peppa Pig and Fifi.

modmum Mon 26-Oct-09 13:40:16

Ivor the Engine, Bagpuss, and Thomas the Tank Engine?? All episodal, can be done in small chunks to prevent square eyes.

francaghostohollywood Mon 26-Oct-09 13:41:34

There are lots of non disney cartoons that are lovely for a child your dd's age, from Peppa Pig to Mister Ben... she is only 2.5 btw, there are lots of Disney movies which I don't find appropriate for such a young age, regardless of their feminism or lack of, imho.

BellaBear Mon 26-Oct-09 13:42:41

Animal Farm is freakin' scary

choppychopster Mon 26-Oct-09 13:42:58

Watched Monsters Inc at the weekend with DD and enjoyed it (if you can overlook that it's Disney).

Peppa Pig a firm favourite in the Chopster household too.

paisleyleaf Mon 26-Oct-09 13:44:05

Doctor Who?! aww she needs some films she can enjoy.
Flushed Away's good

cockles Mon 26-Oct-09 13:46:57

I woudl go for showing, for example, jungle book, but with a commentary on the appalling girl at the end (my feminist three year old now comments 'real girls aren't like that are they') The Clangers are very popular here. Also, Tom and Jerry etc, tho a bit old for a 2.5 year old.

francaghostohollywood Mon 26-Oct-09 13:50:13

Max and Ruby, the Wonderpets, Bob the builder were firm favourite of mine at your dd's age too.

I must confess that dd was totally in love with Cinderella... I put it in the category "Know your enemy" hmm grin

francaghostohollywood Mon 26-Oct-09 13:50:49

not mine, but my children, sorry.

LittleWhiteWereWolf Mon 26-Oct-09 14:05:26

Erm, I may be missing something but is it fair to all Disney Princesses to label them "non feminist"?

Beauty and the Beast: Belle is a book loving girl who shuns the guy everyone wants because he focuses on her looks and not whats inside, so finds a perfect match with a Beast who has to learn to let people in.

Alice In Wonderland: Alice is a young girl who has to trawl through a mad world and avoid getting her head chopped off by the mad queen of hearts

Aladdin: Jasmine is a feisty princess who sneaks outside the palace walls to experience real life, and while Aladdin has to teach her how to survive outside her pampered life, thats what she wants and its surely better than living a stifled life and marrying a prince?

The Little Mermaid: Ariel defys her fathers wishes by seeking to live as a human and experience human life. Yes some people say its derogatory to women because she loses her voice, but I think its more about learning to communicate, not just talk

Mulan: Mulan doesnt feel she can be a 'lady' so instead she dons her fathers armour to save him from having to go to war and basically wins the war. Also a good history lesson in how times have changed for servicewomen!

Hercules' Meg: she did a deal with Hades to save her lover who then left her--embittered women dont come much more bitter than her, yet she learns to trust and love again during the story.

Then theres Atlantis which is less well known, but still fantastic. Lilo and Stitch doesnt have a disney princess and is a great story about family.

I can understand the dislike of earlier stories whereby the women truly rely on their princes to save them (sleeping beauty, snow white, cinderella) yet I cannot understand the blanket ban of Disney.

stealthsquiggle Mon 26-Oct-09 14:15:38

DP is going completely OTT IMHO - as LWWW says, there are distinctly feminist messages in some of them. When the subject of 'who is the best princess' came up a couple of years ago DS (then an only child) said firmly "That's easy - it's Jasmine (this was pre-Mulan) - the others are soppy grin". My DB was slightly taken aback - as the father of a then - Dora and princess obsessed DD I think he thought you could only like The Incredibles or the princesses.

But if you are going to cave on lack of princesses then how about Monsters Inc or Kung Fu Panda - DD (just 3) loves both of those (and her Kung Fu Panda impression is priceless grin).

DS also loved My Friend Totoro. If you want your DP to see the good side of Disney (and there is plenty), make him watch Wonderpets - it is atrocious.

MrsBadger Mon 26-Oct-09 14:20:45

See if you can get hold of a copy of Laura's Star - absolutely non-Disney but magical nontheless. Also very cultural - dd (2.3) is very taken with the cello the heroine's mum plays.

We have also enjoyed Kung Fu Panda, Surf's Up and Madagascar but Happy Feet was a complete flop due to lack of action sequences.

imo the important thing is that they are films you can tolerate yourself.

stepaway Mon 26-Oct-09 14:21:14

Big Cook Little Cook

Balamory

Come Outside

stealthsquiggle Mon 26-Oct-09 14:27:10

Don't get The Incredibles, though - Elastagirl gives up everything to be a housewife (although she does rebel later so I guess it is a moral tale grin)

MrsBadger Mon 26-Oct-09 15:29:31

actually I think your best bet migth be to get sky+ or a PVR (like sky+ but without the sky) so you can tape screeds of CBeebies for future on-demnand showing...

I speak as a woman with 50 Something Specials, 10 ITNGs and about 400 Peppa Pigs in her 'recorded programmes' list...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now