Talk

Advanced search

CBBC: Gimme a Break - Saturday morning - Genuine question about the 'step mum'...

(3 Posts)
whippet Sun 25-Oct-09 16:43:40

Was watching this with the DSs on Sat morning, and the family consisted of Mum, 2 daughters, and another woman described as the 'Stepmum', and referred to by her christian name, Sara.

At first I wasn't really watching it, and when DS2 asked what a stepmum was, I just explained that it was if a daddy got a new wife etc.

Then when I saw more of the programme, I realised that this wasn't the case, and I then assumed they must be a gay couple?

Is it normal to refer to the non-biological parent in a lesbian couple as the step-mum, or were the BBC just trying to gloss over having to add any additional explanation etc?

Not being judgemental at all BTW, and I thought they were a lovely family, I just thought the stepmum comment confused things - at least for my DS. (He is totally comfortable with a 'two mums' scenario, as he has a friend at school with this situation.)

InThisSequinBraYesYouOlaJordan Sun 25-Oct-09 17:26:56

I saw this, and assumed that it was a Mum/Stepmum who just got on really well (had a laugh to myself at the mere thought of my Mum and step-Mum participating in anything together that they didn't actually have to) but admit I was watching with about 15% of my attention as was cooking and baking.

What made you think they were a lesbian couple? Agree that if they were, then the BBC have been confusing there.

whippet Sun 25-Oct-09 18:46:04

oh gawd - maybe I've got it wrong then blush

I just got the impression that the two women were quite similar in age - I never thought about Sara being the Mum's stepmum - I assumed it was used in realtion to the daughters... oops!

I suppose I would have expected her to be 'gran' or something if that was the case...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now