Talk

Advanced search

Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom - does it strike anyone else as a bit...um...racist?

(12 Posts)

DD's love this and DH and I can't help but notice that the fairies swan about having picnics and being important and the elves do eveyrthing else. They grow all the food and do all the work, and then when Holly asks if Ben can do things she is always told 'Oh no, but ben is an elf and we are fairies'

Or are we overthinking grin

preggersplayspop Wed 21-Oct-09 21:32:44

I think overthinking it! Ben gets to ride on Gaston, much better than flying!

blametheparents Wed 21-Oct-09 21:36:06

I do know what you mean jack
Not so much rascist, maybe more the upper classes keeping the working classes down.
DH has mentioned it too.
Looking forward to DD losing interest in it.

Gaston. Yes, the french named ladybird who lives in a dog bed and barks.
Poor Ben, he has to fly on Gaston to keep up with the smug arse fairiesgrin

Yy, DH says it is 'class war' or more apartheid than racism, but it's not on.
DD's play it and DD1 is always saying 'no dd2, you cant do that, you are an elf!

PictureThis Wed 21-Oct-09 21:42:39

I haven't ever given it that much thought. I find it strange too that Gaston the male ladybird barks like a dog.

PfftTheMagicDragon Wed 21-Oct-09 21:57:09

I like the way that they have carried the Peppa Pig theme over and the Daddy can't get anything right and always has to give his food away grin

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Wed 21-Oct-09 22:01:46

Maybe next series there will be a bloody rebellion and leading fairies lined up against the wall to be shot?

liath Wed 21-Oct-09 22:07:29

I'm sure Nanny Plum will be at the head of the rebellian then, I think she's treated appallingly grin!

I'm seriously regretting replacing the cbeebies bedtime hour with this tripe but was getting so sick of ITNG.

Yes Nanny Plum is the fairy slave isn't she.
She will be the traitor who sells out Holly and the Twins hiding places to the rebellion to be spared.

I loved it when she got frozen byt eh witch though 'I was only trying to help, you grumpy old witch' is DD1's favourite phrase.

Neilsan Wed 13-Sep-17 10:48:06

My Wife wrights fan fiction and is thinking for fun to do such a story!!

MiaowTheCat Thu 14-Sep-17 11:22:37

Yeah but although the fairies flounce around... it's usually the elves that bail them out and always with a faint aura of "we know we're better than you and you lot couldn't find your own arse without the aid of a magic wand". In fact there's the episode about "no magic day" where the whole premise is that basically the fairies are completely fucked without their magic and can't even manage to brush their own hair.

Ben and Holly is bloody brilliant though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now