Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone watch Panorama last night?

(28 Posts)
sarah293 Tue 20-Oct-09 08:17:12

Message withdrawn

Nancy66 Tue 20-Oct-09 09:53:18

Horrible wasn't it - I totally believe the woman from the charity who said it's like that on every estate in the UK.

At least there were some nice people like the little girl who told her muslim reporter that she was beautiful - but, even so, grim watching.

halfcut Tue 20-Oct-09 09:55:49

Its not like that on the estate where I live ...

GeeWhizz Tue 20-Oct-09 09:59:04

Didn't watch but have heard about it on the radio this morning.

Unfortunately they picked Bristol, but it is awful to know that this is not isolated but all over the UK.

princessmel Tue 20-Oct-09 10:00:36

I saw it, was very upsetting. That Sonny was so young .

Ripeberry Tue 20-Oct-09 11:43:31

Kids are like that to even white people, if you dress differently or talk differently (I'm Welsh), they will do the same thing sad. It's not just race. It's just a load of thugs who all live in the same area and bring the whole place down even though they might be a minority.
My grandparents still live in Lawrence Weston in Bristol and have been in the same home for 60yrs.
Now all the 'problem famillies' are moving in and they are surrounded by druggies and famillies that scream abuse at each other sad.
They won't move after all these years and I don't blame them.

krugerparkrules Tue 20-Oct-09 12:16:27

I saw it and have thought about it this morning, very upsetting to think that people endure that on a daily basis ...

castille Tue 20-Oct-09 12:21:56

Yes Geewhizz and Ripeberry - we suffered a couple of incidents when living in the UK (not Bristol) purely on the basis of our French-reg car parked outside the house

(we are white but DH is French, he was working in the UK for a few months)

sad

Ripeberry Tue 20-Oct-09 12:51:35

It's not just the UK. If you want to see real racism go to Switzerland! We lived there in the 1970's (they might have improved by now), but anyone NOT Swiss or who dark skin would find it difficult to get good jobs unless they were sponsored.
I was bullied by kids and teachers because I was British.
I felt a lot of sympathy for that lady on the programme. Thank goodness that bloke came out of his house and chased off that Sonny (devil child) angry.
These days, if a kid that age tried that on with me I would just walk up to someone's door and get help.
Kids like that know that they can threaten and deny everything and if we (adults) so much as shout back at them, we get hauled off to the cells.

elvislives Tue 20-Oct-09 13:04:49

I didn't think it had much to do with racism TBH. It would have been a fairer experiment if they had put in a white couple on the same estate at the same time to see what happened to them. I bet they would have had the same experience, just different name-calling.

All the adults in the video clips on that estate were pleasant and helpful. The problem is one of feral kids who know they can't be touched.

I am currently in Bath on a rough estate and we regularly have gangs of (white) youths congregating who are very much like those on the programme. I wouldn't walk through them. They put a bin through my mum's (white) neighbour's front window, and trashed her opposite (white) neighbour's van for no reason- just because they could.

There was a "racially-motivated" attack on an estate in Kent a few years ago, committed by 2 boys I'd had the pleasure of teaching. I knew both very well, and the victim being Asian was a coincidence. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Had he been white, black, green with orange spots they would still have attacked him.

latestincarnation Tue 20-Oct-09 13:06:00

Southmead has some serious scum living there - used to work there and hated it.

Its years an years since the St Pauls riots, and the council would love everyone to think its changed, but it hasn't, the problem has just moved to new areas. As poorer communities are priced out of central St Pauls etc they are moving onto previously white areas. I would not be surprised to see things escalate further, given the problems I've seen that were white on white, let alone if they have a common "enemy" sad

mylovelymonster Tue 20-Oct-09 13:12:32

The 11yr old made me feel physically sick - 11, FFS...........threatening a woman to slit her throat and then attacking her to try and get her bag.

motherbeyond Tue 20-Oct-09 13:33:17

i watched 20 mins of it,and it made me so utterly depressed and sad for society that i switched off. i just wonder what makes these people so angry and detached from humanity, that they feel it's ok to treat others this way.
i can only think it must be their own experiences in life are so shit,it makes them feel better to torment others.
when i saw that guy that was 20,and his cronies,who punched the male journalist...i honestly thought of lethal injection. it saddens me that i would even turn this over in my mind,but what use are they in our society?they will never change,they are a drain on our resources and the scum of the earth.they will just go on to produce more just like them..ie the gang of kids at the shops...it's never ending

StrawberriesandCherries Tue 20-Oct-09 13:36:20

Awful awful - watched it with dd and we were horrified at it. So brave of those reporters to do that, but can you imagine living like that every single day sad

HowlingAtTheMoon Tue 20-Oct-09 15:10:01

I made myself watch it even though it made extremely uncomfortable and depressing viewing. I get so sad when I see programmes like this, I just cannot get myself into the mindset of these people who think this is acceptable behaviour. That 11yo was just a disgrace, he knew exactly what he could get away with too.

Ripeberry Tue 20-Oct-09 18:41:24

I had to live with kids like that in Staple Hill in Bristol. The kids were only 8yrs old and one day we told some kids to get off our scafolding as we were having roof work done.
They were almost up to the roof and then we were targets.
They used to put dog mess on my car bonnet every day, they even jumped all over my car and my husband had to physically restrain me as I wanted to go out there and hit the little B%%%%.
But we were in the middle of moving house and we could not have any disputes with the neighbours.
I was SO glad to get away from there.
Oh, yes, we did try to speak to the parents but they just shouted at us and told us to stop 'annoying their kids!' shock
I've lived on an estate like that and it is hell, you get scared to even go home.

sarah293 Tue 20-Oct-09 18:44:05

Message withdrawn

Ripeberry Tue 20-Oct-09 18:44:30

Problem is, if you live on a 'sink estate' then you keep your head down and hope they attack someone else. The decent people need to gang up together and stand as one against the minority who cause the fear.

sarah293 Tue 20-Oct-09 18:44:58

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Tue 20-Oct-09 18:47:00

Message withdrawn

supersalstrawberry Tue 20-Oct-09 18:47:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sherazade Tue 20-Oct-09 20:42:47

naieve to suggest this only happens on poverty ridden council estates. i;ve been to a mainly middle class grammar school in manchester and have been bullied like that. i wear a headscarf btw.

I'm watching it on iplayer now, really sad
We had problems in Liverpool in an estate when I lived in a house with 2 (white, as I am)girls from NI. We were followed, shouted at, graffitied and eventually they burgled us and then taunted us with what they had taken.
we moved. Would hate to have been stuck somewhere like that and unable to move.Horrible.

Ripeberry Tue 20-Oct-09 21:03:15

Jack that is the reality for many people. If I ever ended up in an area like that, I would rather live rough in the countryside sad

Ripeberry Tue 20-Oct-09 21:06:37

That's interesting Riven, we used to live at Southernhay right by the cycle track, most of our neighbours were lovely, but lots of 'strangers' would come off the track at night and our shed at the bottom of the garden used to get broken into loads of times.
We ended up not keeping anything in it and leaving it unlocked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now