Advanced search

Age 8 and wanting a sex change

(57 Posts)
MuffinToptheMule Mon 19-Oct-09 21:04:44

On C4 now. Anyone else watching?

jobhuntersrus Mon 19-Oct-09 21:06:29

yes,open mouthed

CaptainUnderpants Mon 19-Oct-09 21:09:05

yes, why is it that programmes like this always feature people living in USA ?

QOD Mon 19-Oct-09 21:09:21

its just wroooooooooooooooooong!

lilyjen Mon 19-Oct-09 21:09:31

wtf??!

MuffinToptheMule Mon 19-Oct-09 21:10:44

I too am open mouthed. I'm finding it quite sad.

NoMoreThankYou Mon 19-Oct-09 21:12:01

yes, only just tuned in; what have i missed so far?? does he have sisters? what are his parents like??

fedupintheoffice Mon 19-Oct-09 21:15:18

It is sad that these boys were born the wrong gender, but good luck to them and well done to the parents for being so understanding to their children. Josie (the first child) is a very bonny little girl!

AboardtheAxiom Mon 19-Oct-09 21:21:02

Josie is really pretty.

I can't say what I would do in that situation as a parent, it must be so hard for the whole family.

lockets Mon 19-Oct-09 21:22:49

Message withdrawn

CaptainUnderpants Mon 19-Oct-09 21:23:38

What counselling are these children having to help them cope with all this and make this decision ? Did I miss that bit ?

That kid that didn't realise he would have to have 'shots' to make boobs grow looked really shocked at the prospect . How are they being prepared for all the changes ?

WUGYouLETMeBiteYourNeck Mon 19-Oct-09 21:23:49

I wouldn't get my DDs hair dyed at 8....it was already such a lovely colout as well.

WUGYouLETMeBiteYourNeck Mon 19-Oct-09 21:24:14

colour

MuffinToptheMule Mon 19-Oct-09 21:24:18

I agree, it seems very very hard for everyone.
Why does the mum need to tell the hairdresser that the child was born a boy?

lockets Mon 19-Oct-09 21:24:54

Message withdrawn

MuffinToptheMule Mon 19-Oct-09 21:25:30

I was agreeing with AboardtheAxiom.

AboardtheAxiom Mon 19-Oct-09 21:27:01

Definately should be having some good counselling shouldn't they that's a good point.

I can't believe they are sned kyla back to the same school as a different sex! Why not a new school were no one knows, she is going to be a real target for bullies. sad

CaptainUnderpants Mon 19-Oct-09 21:28:09

Didn't they say that alot of children grow out of this 'gender dyshoria' ?

MavisGrind Mon 19-Oct-09 21:29:03

"Josie hasn't let go if his boys toys"

Yes, that's right. As soon as you identify as being a girl you must put away anything blue hmm

Why does gender have to be so distinctive (biology aside)?

fedupintheoffice Mon 19-Oct-09 21:29:42

I wonder why they both look so feminine. When an adult usually changes gender, they still tend to look like their original sex. Both of the girls are absolutely beautiful...little stars!

EdgarAllenPoo Mon 19-Oct-09 21:30:06

i saw the teasers. i think the parents should have delayed until puberty - as things can change drastically then.

lockets Mon 19-Oct-09 21:32:44

Message withdrawn

HeSaysSheSays Mon 19-Oct-09 21:32:54

Lockets, my ds is 7. At 4 it looked very much like he had GD but at 7 it is clear that he has not, although he does still have some very effeminate ways/preferences.

He went through a lot of these things, however he has not ever fixated on the "problem" of having a penis.

For me the prospect of the potential hurt was awful and the thought of the decisons that would have to be made however it never really crossed my mind that it would be so young so I am watching with a bizarre combination of horror, sympathy, empathy, anger... and more as I am sure you are too!

AboardtheAxiom Mon 19-Oct-09 21:34:34

I also went hmm at the toys comments. As a child I loved climbing trees, building lego builders and my nana's neighbours toy tractor. I was however most definately a girl.

I wouldn't have told the hairdresser my girly looking child was a boy in the middle of the salon either. What did it acheive really?!?

CaptainUnderpants Mon 19-Oct-09 21:35:12

Just picked this up from NHS website.

The symptoms of gender dysphoria usually appear at a very young age. Children may refuse to wear typical boys' or girls' clothes, or dislike taking part in typical boys' or girls' games and activities. In most cases, this kind of behaviour is just a normal part of growing up, but in cases of gender dysphoria, it persists into later childhood, adolescence and adulthood.

Ok so how do they know that it is just not normal children behaviour ? are the parents reading too much from their childrens behaviour , I see no evidence from any experts regarding the indivuals on this programme .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now