Talk

Advanced search

The Sainsburys ads are annoying enough but the latest one has little wifey telling her DH that he is "babysitting".....

(20 Posts)
pagwatch Mon 19-Oct-09 12:36:04

seriously.
Are they going for the most dimwitted sexist campaign ever.
The wife works and does all the cooking. She and daughter do cooking while husband and son look at tractors (or some such0. Teenage son gets sent to the shops and checkout person laughs at him being all useless and asks if "she" has got him doing the shopping.

Now wifey buys meat joint, DH worries about the cost in manly breadwinner way ( although wifey works so presumeably she understands all that tricky money stuff) and when he plans to go out she breaks it to him that he can't go out as he has to "babysit".

FFS. I am a pretty traditional SAHM and these ads make me want to beat my head against a wall into a bloody pulp

ScaryFucker Mon 19-Oct-09 12:39:51

totally agree

Alibooobaandthe40phantoms Mon 19-Oct-09 12:40:33

Pag I totally agree, saw that ad the other day and started shouting at the TV - DH was quite alarmed.

ScaryFucker Mon 19-Oct-09 12:44:55

I shout at the tv a lot

JustAnotherManicMummy Mon 19-Oct-09 12:45:47

DH says they're ok and who am I to argue?

grin

ihatemyjob Mon 19-Oct-09 12:46:34

I hate them as she always looks so bloody happy in her job.

pagwatch Mon 19-Oct-09 12:49:06

I did the shouting thing too. Teenage son gets quite arsy aboutthe teenage boy lying on the sofa {hmm} and then being all bewildered by the ..err...supermarket.

Its like bad stereotype bingo. They just need a grumpy mother in law and Sid James moving in next door and they have the whole thing.
God help us if they start trying to promote their World Food range - I dread to think

grin at Manicmummy

2shoescreepingthroughblood Mon 19-Oct-09 12:54:11

oh dd lol at thesea adverts.
omg the boy is so rude to his mum

verySCREEEAAAMlawn Mon 19-Oct-09 13:52:58

Ah yes, but isn't she a clever little lady for being able to know what he's thinking? Therefore painting all men as predictable idiots? Anyone noticed how often wifey rolls her eyes in mock exasperation at how stupid her family are? I rest my case.

I hate them too, though at least Jamie Oliver and his lolling tongue seem to have lolled off elsewhere.

Itsthawooluff Mon 19-Oct-09 14:02:14

Yes I loathe loathe and loathe these as well. But in adland it's still the 1950's isn't it?

My little feminist harpies and I compete as to who can be rudest about the numpties who write this dross, and the company purchasers who go "Oh yes, that'll really speak to our target population"

It speaks to me - it says "The Co-op"

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 19-Oct-09 14:08:04

Yes, and she also buys the rude ungrateful teenage son a CD with her nectar points.

It was bad enough when Jamie Oliver was on the show, and the woman's checkout friend was supposed to have had a crush on him. As if anyone would believe that.

This rotten ads are like the Bisto ads from 30 years ago fgs.

And where is that woman from? Was she in Corrie or something years ago. I recognise her from somewhere.

ninagleams Tue 20-Oct-09 00:25:41

There's still a chance that the campaign will culminate with her buying a machine gun, slaughtering her family, rolling her eyes and saying "well you can't quite buy everything at Sainsburys".

juneybean Tue 20-Oct-09 00:31:37

GOML - she was Tyrone's mummy!

AllGoneSouth Tue 20-Oct-09 00:41:09

juneybean she was in corrie but not Tyrone's mum (that was Margi Clarke). The Sainsbury lady was one of Terry Duckworth's conquests more details here

juneybean Tue 20-Oct-09 14:02:42

Ohh yeah! I knew she had a son though :P

BettyTurnip Tue 20-Oct-09 23:29:56

Her Corrie son ended up as Eli in Emmerdale

<sad soap trivia-buff emoticon>

MakemineaGandT Wed 21-Oct-09 13:55:55

yes I hate these ads too.

loving the machine gun scenario nina!

preciouslillywhite Wed 21-Oct-09 14:06:32

I haven't seen that one- we're currently getting the one where she's cooked a nourishing hotpot hmm for the family tea- what's she going to have then? eh? eh?) and passes hubby coming in as she's on her way out (to her late shift at Sainsbury's, presumably)

Said Dad then tries to pass hotpot off as his own work, as his dd rolls her eyes

This annoys the fuck out of me

(as does dp watching it all misty eyed grin)

puddock Wed 21-Oct-09 14:14:33

Just saw a Cash Converters one (that they show to bookend the ad breaks in House on FiveUSA) in an otherwise contemporary setting, where the wifey has rollers in and is holding a rolling pin. FFS!

In my town there's also a billboard for a local garage depicting a woman lying under a car (you know it's a woman because of her short skirt, heels and rubber gloves) and she's - wait for it - oh my aching sides - trying to fix the car. The strapline says "leave it to the professionals".
AIBU to want to firebomb them send a postcard saying that I was previously well disposed to them as a local business but now hell will freeze over before I'd get them to fix my car?

Ooh, riled up now. grin

Miggsie Wed 21-Oct-09 14:16:41

I'm so grateful when DH looks after DD I weep copiously and throw myself to the floor saying "never was a woman so blessed".

Oh, yeah, right.

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now