Talk

Advanced search

Bulgaria's Abandoned Children (BBC4)

(11 Posts)
MollieO Thu 15-Oct-09 21:48:01

Anyone watching? Very moving and positive update on last year's truly awful programme.

MollieO Thu 15-Oct-09 22:01:37

On my own then. It is amazing to think that one television programme could transform the life of so many children.

MollieO Thu 15-Oct-09 22:03:22

that should be lives not life [pedant]

stressed2007 Thu 15-Oct-09 22:03:28

I am sitting here in floods of tears. I feel so sad for the children living like this. It makes me remember how lucky we are here.

bamboobutton Fri 16-Oct-09 08:05:27

i watched this and couldn't sleep last night for thinking about it.

those poor children, what made me really angry was that most of the "carers" were nearly all very overweight/obese while the children looked like famine victimssad makes you wonder where all the best of food was going.

i was very surprised to find out that it was filmed so recently. i remember doing a school project about orphanges in the early 90's and had assumed that these countries would have got their act together on this issue by now.

very sad

littleducks Fri 16-Oct-09 22:19:23

I was crying, actually sobbing not just tears at the end. So glad that the Vrashi (sp??) girl was being cared for, i was horified at her being 'spoon fed' where they just shovelled it in so fast she couldnt swallow, poor kid in agony from broken leg no painkillers and nurse ignoring it

Im just glad i watched it this year with updates, if id seen it last year i wouldnt have been able to cope

LauraIngallsWilder Fri 16-Oct-09 22:57:54

I watched the origonal programme and wept buckets
The bit when the male 'carers' lead the naked teenage girls to the showers shock

Watching the first half of this programme was just as moving as before
Fantastic to see how happy vasky, mulen didi etc are now

The clip shown at the very end of this update (where the small blind child walks into the lady's arms) was shown in the origonal programme - totally set me off all over again this evening when I watched it

Its great to know that some of the children are now being cared for properly - but those are the kids featured in a widely shown tv doc so the bulgarian govt must have been under incredable pressure to do something.
Mogolino is now closed (1st Oct 09) but I have no doubt that there are still very many children in Bulgaria, Romania etc whose lives havent improved very much if at all.

cheerfulvicky Wed 21-Oct-09 17:12:58

I thought this was an amazing programe, I watched it on the BBC iPlayer. Just thinking about the bit at the end that the poster above mentioned made me feel like crying again. I tried not to break down throughout, but the end just did my head in and I cried and cried.

I was also shocked like some of you here that there are still places like that, it's so sad. I think about the thousands of children in that country who are in orphanages, and how small the number actually is if they were adopted to families in the UK or similar. And then I don't understand how they can treat their children like that, don't they CARE? What is it about Bulgaria that makes it different from here, is it really a question of money? If there was loads of money poured into the country, would there really not be children like Vasky anymore? Or is it just ignorance, that can make parents abandon their young daughter, just because she is blind - even though there is nothing else wrong with her at all?

Watching that certainly raised a lot of questions. I also wanted to do something constructive to make a difference, and didn't know how. You can end up feeling really helpless after seeing that kind of thing.

Anyway, if anyone wants to watch it, its available until 10pm tomorrow night. Link is here: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00n92rf/Bulgarias_Abandoned_Children_Revisited/

serajen Thu 22-Oct-09 13:12:36

It's tragic, couldn't watch it, Kate Blewett has a great website, I want to do some fundraising

stressed2007 Thu 22-Oct-09 17:32:58

I still have n't got over this programme. I am very tactile with my kids and they with me. It makes children feel loved. I just can't help feeling how awful it must be for those children who no one ever hugs. What must they feel like? Welling up again...........

Big Picture what can be done about this?

MuffinToptheMule Sun 25-Oct-09 20:54:16

I watched the original programme last year and hadn't realised that the follow up had been on. I've just watched it on iplayer (thanks to this thread).
The care home is/was beyond shocking. I'm crying just thinking about it now. So glad to see that many of the children/young people are now leading much better lives. I just worry about the children who were not featured on this second programme and I hope that they are doing well too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now