Talk

Advanced search

anyone recently started watching the Wire?

(45 Posts)
TheMysticMasseuse Sun 04-Oct-09 13:46:14

I have recently started watching the Wire on dvd and OMG it's killing me. I thought no way it can live up the hype but it surpassed all expectations, I just love it love it love it! only problem is that we end up watching 3 episodes straight and next day I wander into the office in a daze and I think its only a matter of time till I start speaking like a West Baltimore homie to my boss

anyway, i know I am late to this, but if anyone is going through the same, come on here and let's compare obsessions!

Iklboo Sun 04-Oct-09 13:52:44

I've actuallt just finished watching season 5 and I'm getting very bad withdrawal symptoms.
It just gets better and better and better I promise you.
Enjoy it and ghet used to the daze

Five-oh y'all wink

ilovemydogandmrobama Sun 04-Oct-09 14:02:24

Am on episode 3 of series 1. It's dragging a bit, but am determined to keep at it as DP raves about it...

Iklboo Sun 04-Oct-09 14:14:23

Oh my god - have you seen the episode where.................grin

I promise I will post no spoilers.

flowerybeanbag Sun 04-Oct-09 14:20:19

Same as Iklboo, DH and I have just finished watching season 5 and I am now because that's it!

Yo feelin' me?

grin

NorkilyChallenged Sun 04-Oct-09 14:22:27

We just started season 4, having watched 1-3 in the space of about a month! It's great isn't it?

TheMysticMasseuse Sun 04-Oct-09 14:22:43

most def, flowerybean!

just finished series 1...

Iklboo Sun 04-Oct-09 14:32:26

True dat wink

Iklboo Sun 04-Oct-09 14:34:21

Although was rather shockthat the guy that plays Bodie (Preston - one of the Barksdale crew) is in fact 31 and not 17

Iklboo Sun 04-Oct-09 14:34:55

Bodie pic Bodie

TheMysticMasseuse Sun 04-Oct-09 14:42:20

good on him... I wish I looked 19 rather than 33 hmm

Iklboo Sun 04-Oct-09 14:49:47

Yeah - he's going to be one of those guys who look eternally youthful.

So there's no chance of spoilers - who is your favourite character/actor is season one only

Mine is Bubbles (Andre Royo)

TheMysticMasseuse Sun 04-Oct-09 15:07:03

you mean apart from Jimmy [bastard-loving emoticon]?

i really like Rhonda the randy state attorney. And Freamon. And Wallace. And Bubbles. in fact i love them all. the one I hate the most is the slimy weaselly lawyer Levy.

PfftTheMagicDragon Sun 04-Oct-09 15:10:42

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

I miss The Wire sad

extremelychocolateymilkroll Sun 04-Oct-09 18:53:20

We've recently finished watching series 5 on BBC2. We used to tape it and watch it when we had time. You have to be very careful when you read about the Wire as you can easily find out what has happened. I was reading an article by Janice Turner a few weeks ago and fortunately had seen a video of an episode the day before or I would have found out what had happened to one of the major characters. I thought it peaked in series 4. We found that watching it with subtitles made quite a difference.

littlerach Sun 04-Oct-09 18:56:55

There is one problem though.

After watching The Wire, notjing else lives up to it.

The Shield is good too.

TheMysticMasseuse Sun 04-Oct-09 19:00:32

yes we watch with subtitles too, the plot is just too clever for parents of pre-schoolers. and yes i remember reading an interview with the actor who plays omar about 2 years ago, so now i know too much already whcih rather spoils it. plus i am terrible with actively seeking out spoilers online...

abra1d Sun 04-Oct-09 19:06:20

Sub-titles!

Pah. ;)

We have watched all the series now and it only gets better. My favourite series is actually three (I think): set in schools as well as out on the corners.

Clary Sun 04-Oct-09 19:09:41

My DH is a biiig fan of this which is v unusual. He was watching all those late night ones recently.

I never got into it myself.

phatcat Sun 04-Oct-09 19:13:04

how long does it take to really get into it? I'm on episode 5 of season 1 and it hasn't happened for me yet (I was hoping to have become obsessed like I did with Sopranos by now). Should I stick with it or if I haven't got it by now, will I never? ..... Subtitles sounds like a good idea

extremelychocolateymilkroll Sun 04-Oct-09 19:17:15

The good thing about having watched it all is that you can look up details on the actors and not be afraid that you will see spoilers. I was amazed that the guy who played Bodie was so young. The actor who plays D Angelo is another babyface and 38 years old. Interesting that McNulty is an old Etonian and I was staggered that Stringer is British. It's surprising that the actors haven't become better known since.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Sun 04-Oct-09 19:18:55

Subtitles really help - as does watching a recording so you can pause and discuss bits with your dh which are not clear - especially if you've had a really tough day. Definitely worth sticking with it.

lucykate Sun 04-Oct-09 19:20:54

dh has recently got into it, we're about half way through series 2. i only watch it with him as i have a thing for dominic west. dh doesn't know that blush

Iklboo Mon 05-Oct-09 13:15:30

Agree The Shield is good too - especially the season with Forrest Whittaker

The guy who plays Prez (geeky cop) was in Medium t'other night

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 05-Oct-09 13:48:03

There are sub titles for The Wire?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now