Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone watching octomum on Sky 1?

(31 Posts)
electra Thu 24-Sep-09 21:54:36

I think she comes across really well. In the midst of all the controversy she is very good at defending her position.

fishie Thu 24-Sep-09 21:55:50

i am not watching it but expect she has retained control of edit so will not be appearing in a bad light.

Wilts Thu 24-Sep-09 21:58:51

I don't think she come across well. I think she loves all the attention she is getting, mostly I am watching it with my mouth like this shock.

TwoManyFallsAndYouGetABadScore Thu 24-Sep-09 22:00:37

I think she is completely nuts and is completely disengaged with the reality of her situation.

Mind you with all that crying, you would have to be a bit disengaged. how does she stand it?

PurpleEglu Thu 24-Sep-09 22:02:53

All I want to know is how she could afford all the IVF? Where did the money come from?

Meglet Thu 24-Sep-09 22:05:04

It's times like this I wish I had Sky envy

dearprudence Thu 24-Sep-09 22:05:15

Oh my god, the crying.

Wilts Thu 24-Sep-09 22:06:17

Dh asked me to turn it off when all the babies were led on the floor crying grin

QOD Thu 24-Sep-09 22:08:44

Has she had her lips done? I am mesmerised...
the babies are so cute but some of them act like they already gave up bothering to ask for attention.

The older ones just run riot and she seems to talk to them all pleadingly, like she has no authority

Bonkers how she managed to pay for ivf but is on pulic assistance

Wilts Thu 24-Sep-09 22:10:11

She has denied having anything done to her lips and claimed it is just where she put on weight during pregnancy hmm

electra Thu 24-Sep-09 22:15:41

But I don't think she seems nuts at all - I think she seems very intelligent and speaks eloquently about her experiences....I don't really have an opinion on whether she's right or wrong and I guess it isn't for me to judge. Just an observation (from my perspective haha!)

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 24-Sep-09 22:55:54

i really wanted to be outraged.

but i wasnt.
i thought she was ok. doing a better job than some with one kid. live and let live i say.

BouncingTurtle Thu 24-Sep-09 23:31:31

You know...I saw the thread title and thought this thread was about a mum with 8 arms....

blush

electra Fri 25-Sep-09 08:59:50

Agreed vicar...

Nancy66 Fri 25-Sep-09 11:12:22

I'm confused how anybody could think she came across well. She struck me as somebody that was seriously, psychologically flawed and a pathologicial liar to boot.

She agreed to have six embroys transferred but thought that would result in one baby?!

She denies plastic surgery, yet there are plenty of pictures of her when she was younger that show that she has had extensive work done - where is the money coming from?

She also very clearly had botox and fake nails - how is she affording this and where is she finding the time with 14 children?

The older children, one in particular, looked to be showing signs of very aggressive and disturbed behaviour. Add to all this her vanity, endless attention seeking and inability to look after and feed the kids and I think it was all pretty shocking.

She didn't even know how to handle a baby - their heads were flopping all over the place.

potoftea Fri 25-Sep-09 11:19:58

I though she came across as honest until she was looking at photos of another reality tv show mother wearing a bikini and was so critical and competitive.

Feel so sorry for the older children though, they can't do normal things with their mother now without a posse of photographers following them. Was also shocked that she poses for photos with strangers when out with her older children.

Obviously likes the "celebrity" lifestyle of it all I think.

LuluMamaaaaarrrrr Fri 25-Sep-09 17:24:36

Agree with nancy, i watched most of the show, but have sky +ed it as i was falling asleep blush

her total lack of forward thinking and /or naivete was shocking. but i don't think she was being honest

how could she have thought that as a single mother of 14 , including octuplets, that her life and the babies lives would be anyhitng other than a total and utter media feeding frenzy?

her comments re the other mother of 6 were foul and showed a total lack of self awareness. i take it octomum has done nothing for money and publicity hmm

her mother was doing a good job of challenging her , but she just would not accept she had done anything wrong or fool hardy

women were not designed to carry litters of babies, it is a miracle that they all survived.

Wilts Fri 25-Sep-09 17:27:21

I think it just about summed her up when she was bringing the first two babies home and was being chased by the press, and she sat there reapplying her make-up hmm.

BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 25-Sep-09 19:50:25

bump

electra Fri 25-Sep-09 20:18:17

I didn't see the bit where she criticised the other mum. True that humans are not designed to carry 8 babies - I always found it tiring enough carrying one!!

TwoIfBySea Fri 25-Sep-09 20:21:38

I didn't think she came across well, in fact it kind of proved the point that there are obviously some issues there. She obviously couldn't cope at all with the ones she had.

And no discussion over how she afforded the IVF. And I missed the part where they said who paid for the big fancy house.

BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 25-Sep-09 20:27:24

i missed that tto in fact don't think anyone mentioned it.

Alarielle Fri 25-Sep-09 22:02:18

From what I have read, she used to work as a technician and injured her back and got a big compensation payout which is how she has funded the IVF. She has been trying for a baby unsucessfully since she was in her late teens.

Was an interesting programme, she seems to love the limelight but pretends she doesn't.

She has been begging for money from companies/TV deals since day one. In February she set up a website asking for monetary donations from the public but I don't think it's still up now.

Lulumama Sat 26-Sep-09 10:20:21

i wonder what created the desire in her , not just to have a baby, or two babies or 4 or 6, but 14?

there must have been some desire to be better/bigger/different/eye catching

to have IVF without a partner and for 6 embryos to be implanted is IMO madness

i also thikn that the doctors were totally, totally unethical to do this.

psychologically, she must be damaged in some way to want to do this and i think the doctors were wrong to implant so many embryos. the fact they thought she was carrying 7 babies and did not know until delivery there were 8 in there ! so much risk for her and the babies. and for what?

a single mum with no visible means of support, with 14 children born via IVF, am i judging? yes, yes i am

Mousey84 Sat 26-Sep-09 11:24:36

I missed the program, so dont know what all was said.

Lulu, she had IVF hoping for 1 or 2 babies at most (to add to the 6 she had already). Apparently every time she had had IVF 6 were implanted and the most she had had before were twins. She chose not to have a "selective reduction" as it was against her beliefs.

While I dont think it was very responsible of her, I understand (to a degree) the desire to have a large family. She seems to be very loving. Anyone would be overwhelmed by 14 kids, even with a large supportive family network and in the programs Ive seen, I thought she seemed very poised. I would be a big blubbing mess if anyone said anything remotely harsh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now