Talk

Advanced search

OMG!! Is anyone watching Dispatches on C4???

(8 Posts)
mosschops30 Mon 14-Sep-09 20:30:40

Its so awful I had to come on ere and spout hmm

I was prepared to feel sympathy towards those who have lost their jobs and have families to support and mortgages to pay!

But WTF!!!!

A woman who earned 90k and is now looking for a job - but still driving round in her open top car and having a manicure before an interview!
A man who happily borrows from his FIL to pay for child school fees but cant see the point in applying for JSA as 'its not a lot of money' (er yes but would be £50 less youd have to borrow).
Graduates of mickey mouse degrees and we're expected to be suprised they cant find work!

The only one I have any respect for is the man who lost his job and is now claiming JSA (because hes not too proud) and is delivering catalogues for a bit of extra cash.

I had to turn it off before I started shouting at the tv!

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 14-Sep-09 20:36:15

didn't watch it - but only ting I can comment on is that she may have been "stuck" with the car - hire purchase is a bummer if you want to get rid of it and it's lost too much value - and you can still end up paying for it (DH is still paying for a car that he gave back a year ago!!)

MrsDinky Mon 14-Sep-09 22:12:57

A bit depressing from my point of view (I will be out of a job for the first time in 20 years at the end of this month). I felt unsympathetic towards Matt and Zoe who seemed to think the world owed them a living, but the others were better, at least they were taking jobs even if they were not what they wanted.

Meglet Mon 14-Sep-09 22:22:12

I know! I couldn't beleive some of them. That bloke that who wouldn't even sign on obviously hadn't bothered to find out what he was entitled to.

MrsDinky Mon 14-Sep-09 22:44:36

I wanted to shout "don't do it" when he said "one last cigarette" before going into his interview, I know it's his choice, but going in smelling of smoke is surely not going to improve his chances.

spokette Wed 16-Sep-09 15:37:50

Just watched this online because I was made redundant in the summer but found a job straight away (only applied for one job and got itsmile. I wanted to see if there was something about them why they could not find work and my suspicions were concerned.

The sales director did not seem to appreciate that you cannot turn up to an interview 5 minutes after having a cigarette because you will still smell. Also, he was a marketing director for Hamelys which is basically a toy company that deals in commodities. Even his transferable skills will not help him get a job with a technology based organisation unless he can understand how these organisations function differently from a commodity based one.

His attitude towards upskilling via training was one of arrogance too. He felt that his 25 years of experience was more valuable than a piece of paper. What he did not appreciate was that his experience might actually be out of date and out of step with modern industry!

Also, I had no sympathy for him because he wants to keep his daughters in private school courtesy of his father. He does not want to change his lifestyle to reflect his situation which means that he only wants to go for jobs of a certain salary. I found a job because I was prepared to accept a £15k paycut and work my up the ladder again. My new company is getting a lot of experience and skills for the money they are paying me(which is still a good salary to be fair). I saw the role as one where I could re-build my career using my qualifications and the skills that I had built over the last 20 years.

The HR director woman was another one in fantasyland. She was unprepared to look at lower paid jobs because she had worked so hard to get to where she is. Well, I suspect she will be singing a different tune after 6 months.

The guy selling catalogues and debt collecting was at least doing something but I still find it curious why he could not find a sales position. Again, I suspect that he was holding out for a high salary post.

The students should just accept whatever paid job they can get because they are starting out. The important thing is to gain experience and earn some money. In time, things will improve and at least they will develop transferable skills and demonstrate that they are flexible.

spokette Wed 16-Sep-09 15:38:44

suspicions confirmed

ItsAllaBitNoisy Wed 16-Sep-09 20:40:35

The sales guy needed a shave. If you can't be arsed to have a shave for an interview, what shape will you be rolling into work in the morning?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now