Talk

Advanced search

Just watched 'Waking the Dead', are all nuns evil?

(19 Posts)
twirlymum Mon 07-Sep-09 23:46:20

Ok ok, I'm a lapsed catholic, and dh is seriously anti religion of any kind, but does anyone else think that nuns (especially Irish ones) are only ever portrayed as evil child abusing harridans?
Surely they are not all bad, as tv would have us believe?

Prunerz Tue 08-Sep-09 00:02:24

Nah
I used to teach nuns.
Some are certainly....well, a convent might be a good place for them, ie not in society.
Most of the ones I met were lovely.
I did have a weirdy nun who had a crush on me for a while, that was interesting.

Saltire Thu 10-Sep-09 21:51:37

I worked with nuns. I wouldn't say they were all evil. Completely insane maybe but not evil

CMOTdibbler Thu 10-Sep-09 21:56:08

My mum used to be nun, and she's not evil. Mad, yes, evil no

southeastastra Thu 10-Sep-09 21:58:15

there's a nun round here who i swear hasn't aged in 35 years. i first saw her when i was about 5 and saw her again the other day.

completely unchanged, spooky nun.

Corporalcornsilk Thu 10-Sep-09 22:02:37

I was taught by nuns. Most were evil. One or two nice ones. Although I had a great aunt who was a nun and she was lovely.

differentID Thu 10-Sep-09 22:03:53

no, they aren't.

My second primary school was a catholic one and the nursery was run by the loveliest nun you could imagine. We were quite close to the convent and when my father died some of the nuns and an elderly priest organised a collection(he died near XMas) of pressies and stuff for us.
Plus a lovely sister comes up to visit my mum, because mum cna't get out much.

On the other hand, some have probably some mental issues. Just like everyone else in the country.

sfxmum Thu 10-Sep-09 22:04:13

I was taught by nuns and worked with them for a number of years, some evil, some very evil, some frustrated, some insane, a few nice wonderful creatures
imo

PortBlacksandResident Thu 10-Sep-09 22:04:18

Dh and i were saying how glad we were that the priest in WTD came across as a completely 'normal', lovely bloke. Not a pervert, paedophile or boffing the local tramp - nor secretly in love with the woman (at the end).

I am a heathen agnostic btw but get sick of the clichés...

Lizzylou Thu 10-Sep-09 22:06:16

Noooo, my best Nun used to wear Body Shop White Musk.
Nuns rock

Lizzylou Thu 10-Sep-09 22:08:02

My grandfather was beaten for being lefthanded by the Christian Brothers, in Ireland, so I could understand the drama tbh.

MaggieVirgo Thu 10-Sep-09 22:08:51

My Mum is utterly convinced of it!!!!

She has a million memories like this one:
There'd been a car crash in town and the people who died were Jewish. She got in to school and everybody was talking about it. The nuns said ah well, they were Jewish, as though that meant it was somehow for the best. Even at 13 the school girls knew that made no sense, and felt like they wanted to correct the nuns, but you could NOT challenge a nun. And they weren't trying to be nasty. They meant it like, those poor deluded jews with their silly mickey mouse faith. So without a catholic faith their lives weren't so valuable.

My Mum walked home from school at about 9,10 in disgust. Her Dad let her have the day off. He apologised to her that he had no money to send her to a proper decent school, but she had to drag her nun-hating ass back to shcool the next day for another day of bigotry and ignorance.

Today, I dont think they're evil. I think they are misguided and of low intelligence and afraid of managing their own lives.

CMOT, your mum LEFT, so that doesnt apply to her. A nun who left, I'd respect her. It'd be like she had a faith, it waivered, she had the strenth to question things,and the guts to leave, which must have been hard.

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 10-Sep-09 22:08:55

My ex SIL sister was a nun and got kicked out.

pagwatch Thu 10-Sep-09 22:11:08

My mum was treated terribly by nuns after her mother died. She was beaten every day. She doesn't like them much. But of course they are not all like that.

drlove8 Thu 10-Sep-09 22:12:52

nuns <<<<shudder>>> , completely mental ..... never met a sane one ....hmm , mabey they write it in job description for employment adds?.........

position - nun.
hours - 24/7
pay - not much, but free hessian nickers with uniform and food and lodgings provided
job requirements - must be able to scare small children and talk in sudo-sickly sweet voice , with the ability ,whilst in conversation, to include the phrase "our lord" at random .
must posses an athletic aim ( for chucking blaskboard dusters/ rullers at kids.
good mental health not required
obsessions with laundries , not nessesary , but would be seen as advantagious!
grinwink

Saltire Fri 11-Sep-09 08:26:17

Of the ones I worked with (and we are talking 20 years agao) I worked with them for 7 years and the older ones were definately mad, and the one in charge, well she was insane too. However, 2 nuns came over from Africa and they were truly lovely people.
One of the thigns that struck me about teh insane ones was the 2 facedness of them. They would be down in the town and be all smiles and nice and then come into the home and be horrible. The one in charge of the home used to say to me, every single day "Saltire, I will break you, you are useless and worthless and I will break you". But I loved the old people I looked after and I got on great with the staff so I stayed, I wasn't going to leave, if she wanted rid, then she'd better come up with a good reason to sack me. People would then say to me "oh that sister x from teh home she's lovely" and I'd think, hmm, you don't know the truth.
They used to have big 3 course meals twice a day, and the residents would have mince and tatties for lunch time and then chees on toast at tea time, meanwhile the nuns were tucking into roast dinners.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 11-Sep-09 08:31:36

Message withdrawn

Bucharest Fri 11-Sep-09 08:46:04

I was glad the priest turned out to be not-the-baddy too.(for once)

I think there are good nuns and evil nuns. Like "normal" people.

Sleeping on a hard bed and wearing a black nighty all day doesn't make you a good person. No matter what some would have us think.

(dd just finished at nun-run nursery, although not in nun-class. The nun was OK. Wouldn't want to meet her in a dark alley like, but she was OK. (she was perhaps OK because I never told her I wasn't Catholic)

Saltire Fri 11-Sep-09 09:36:40

The ones I worked with never made an issue out of any of the staff being catholic - or not. Out of 18 of us, only 1 was. However they then got this woman to join them from Ireland, she ahd left her DH and 4 children to "follow god" and was working for various catholic organisations free, in exchange for a bed and food. She was well weird, I worked with her one morning and she kept holding my hand an dsaying "you are a good person, but you could be better, how do you think that the Church of Scotland is better than the catholic one, they can't possibly think that God actually loves them, the only true church is the Roman one". of course when I said I'd been christened and married in a CofS church but didn't go that often she got it into her head that she could maybe convert me, and I discovered her trying to change the rota so i could get Sunday mornings off so I could go to mass with her. Luckily though the head nun hated me so much no way was I getting Sunday mornings off,she was determined that I would be late or not tur up one sunday after a night out and it would give her a reason to sack me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now