Talk

Advanced search

Any Father Ted fans still up? - just nearly injured myself laughing at this. Don;'t click if offended by swearing!

(47 Posts)
bibbitybobbityhat Sat 29-Aug-09 00:42:59

Mrs Doyle swearing here

BitOfFun Sat 29-Aug-09 00:48:02

Oh I love Father Ted! I think the Hitler moustache bit was my favourite though...

MrsGladpuss Sat 29-Aug-09 00:52:54

Very funny. I'd forgotten how good Father Ted is until I started tuning into the repeats on More 4.

Favourite bits - when the priests got lost in the lingerie department and the whole episode where they go on holiday in a caravan (the one with Graham Norton as Father Noel something).

<Sighs nostalgically>

MrsGladpuss Sat 29-Aug-09 00:54:35

Oh and "My Lovely Horse"

<ponders how to subtley hint to Mr GP that Father Ted box set would go down well for xmas...>

badgermonkey Sat 29-Aug-09 00:58:40

Oh, I LOVED Father Ted. Graham Linehan, one of the writers, once replied to me on Twitter, which made me grin for ages!

MoominMymbleandMy Sat 29-Aug-09 01:25:11

I love Father Ted and first encountered it when I was lying on the sofa suffering from morning, noon and night sickness and feeling sorry for myself one Christmas.

I'd lost the remote and couldn't be bothered to get up and change channel when it came on (I had somehow got the idea it was a twee, cutesy sort of thing). It was the lingerie department episode and I laughed myself silly.

I think my favourite was The Holy stone of Clanrichart when Father Dougal turned one of the visiting bishops into an atheist.

Or perhaps the boycott of the "fillum", or the one where they're about to die in a plane crash and a priest declares his undying love for the priest in the next seat...and then the embarrassed silence when they're miraculously saved...

BitOfFun Sat 29-Aug-09 01:29:58

Great memories- you can't beat Father Ted for a feelgood duvet day!

Thunderduck Sat 29-Aug-09 02:10:02

I love Father Ted. I have the boxset and dp and I never tire of watching it.

Itsjustafleshwound Sat 29-Aug-09 13:24:10

What episode was it where FT was explaining distance to Dougal??

TwoIfBySea Sat 29-Aug-09 14:41:15

"Down with this sort of thing!"
"Careful now."

That one Moomin?

I loved the episode when Mrs Doyle and the other housekeeper went out for lunch and ended up in a punch up over who was to pay "no I will!"

Or the one where they meet Richard Wilson.

Or the beauty pageant where they all had "lovely bottoms."

Thunderduck Sat 29-Aug-09 15:16:09

The distance thing was in the episode where they go on holiday and spend the time in an incredibly tiny caravan.

Itsjustafleshwound Sat 29-Aug-09 15:18:18

Thanks Thunderduck

MoominMymbleandMy Sat 29-Aug-09 15:20:09

"These cows are small (plastic farm set toys) and those are far away", - that was the caravan holiday, I think.

And yes, the "fillum" one was "Down with this sort of thing!" and "Careful now," and they were going to be exiled for making it the most successful film ever until Father Jack stole Bishop Brennan's holiday video showing the bishop in full regalia playing on the beach with his housekeeper and the proof their union was blessed!

I watched these pretty near back-to-back when I was pregnant with DD. I can't say she's grown into a very reverent sort of child. Quite the opposite, really.

Housemum Sat 29-Aug-09 15:21:18

Small cow ... Far away ...

Kicking Bishop Brennan up the arse was another classic

And in the plane one, the look on Dougal's face seeing the "Do Not Touch" button

Obviously loved the My Lovely Horse one (a request at the time much shouted at Divine Comedy gigs)

hocuspontas Sat 29-Aug-09 15:23:15

"It's wall to wall bastards". Classic. grin

We watch the DVDs over and over again. My favourite episode is the kicking Bishop Brennan up the arse one. So absolutely surreal and silly. I also love Mrs Doyle falling backwards out of the living room window. So many to choose from!

wem Sat 29-Aug-09 15:23:51

small - far away. My favourite bit

jeminthepantry Sat 29-Aug-09 15:26:48

My 11 yr old DS laughed re- kicking Bishop Brennan up the arse for about a week after he saw the episode- he would just start chuckling to himself...and when asked.. yeo, Bishop Brennan

ssd Sat 29-Aug-09 15:57:40

I liked the "lovely girls" competition

MrsGladpuss Sat 29-Aug-09 17:45:04

My Lovely Horse

Fab

TheDMshouldbeRivened Sat 29-Aug-09 17:58:17

love it grin

NorbertDentressangle Sat 29-Aug-09 18:02:24

I love the small/far away bit. Its often quoted in our house grin

bluebump Sat 29-Aug-09 18:09:09

I'd forgotton how funny the small/far away sketch was!

pooter Sat 29-Aug-09 18:15:04

the kicking Bishop Brennan up the arse episode isnt on the boxes set i have sad it is the best! I like the bit where mrs Doyle and her friend get into a fight about who will pay for the tea and cakes. So many good bits though!

autumnscoming Sat 29-Aug-09 18:15:58

Father Ted is brilliant laughed last night when someone said in that post about the priest that it was an ecummenical matter

autumnscoming Sat 29-Aug-09 18:17:57

oh and no fuppin swearing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now