Talk

Advanced search

who watched WHO do yu thik you are last night?

(30 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lizzylou Thu 20-Aug-09 11:50:44

IT was really good, very eye-opening.
Martin Freeman is lovely

kathyis6incheshigh Thu 20-Aug-09 11:50:46

missed it, who was it?

Lizzylou Thu 20-Aug-09 11:51:16

Was amazed when they said 1/10 people had syphillis at that time.

cocolepew Thu 20-Aug-09 11:51:54

Me, I found it a bit hmm until that bit too. Martin Freeman is just an old Mod isn't he? I liked his house.

bradsmissus Thu 20-Aug-09 11:56:49

I was all excited because we live in Worthing (outs self). It's ridiculous how exciting it is to see your home town on the telly!!!!

Loved his house, especially the kitchen. Looked all effortlessly homey.

glasjam Thu 20-Aug-09 17:43:18

I thought he looked rather odd in that house. Didn't "go" with him or his wardrobe at all. I thought he'd be a lot more cynical than he was and I couldn't help but hear Ricky Gervais cackling in the background as the syphillis tale unfolded (not that I think it's funny I hasten to add)

He seemed a lovely guy but has one of those faces that looks like he's just had a good long cry.

NotEvenTheTrees Thu 20-Aug-09 17:45:11

Wasn't he lovely? Beautiful home too.

4andnotout Thu 20-Aug-09 17:46:16

Wasn't Ada born with syphillis as her brother died as an infant from it.

Was v.good though, was the final total of his grandads children 19?

Amapoleon Thu 20-Aug-09 17:52:25

He's such an old mod, I find myself strangely attracted to him in a sort of nostalgic way blush

TheDailyMailHatesWomenAndLemon Thu 20-Aug-09 19:12:09

Ada was born with syphillis (which is why she went blind as a child) but then got over it and must have been re-infected after her first child was born, according to the doctor. That was why the next five children all died (looking at the paper family tree the doctor had drawn up, the sixth child seems to have died later on from something fairly standard, although I can't remember what it was now), and then she began to get over it again.

Megglevache Thu 20-Aug-09 19:15:51

I thought it was brilliant. Martin Freeman came across very well I thought.

So sad all those children dying.

If it were me I'd be thinking I wonder how long it takes to get out of the bloodline!

Ada lost 6 children! That bit really upset me.

TheDailyMailHatesWomenAndLemon Thu 20-Aug-09 19:30:45

I do have one couple on my family tree who had eleven children in sixteen years, only one of whom survived past the age of eight (it doesn't really match a syphillis pattern, though -- although I am tempted to look at the death certificates now). And I'm not entirely sure whether that one survived to adulthood. And the same year their youngest child died aged just 1 month the father of the family died in an accident, run over by his own horse and cart. I can't imagine what that must have been like -- to watch ten out of your eleven children die, followed by your husband.

Megglevache Thu 20-Aug-09 20:58:12

TDMHW&L

Imagine that, how horrific. Was it a very long time ago?

TheDailyMailHatesWomenAndLemon Thu 20-Aug-09 21:08:51

Late 1820s through to mid 1840s (actually, have just checked online now there are better resources and the one remaining child did survive to marry and have a couple of children, although she still died at 26).

MagNacarta Thu 20-Aug-09 21:13:58

I loved it, some are better than others and this was one of them. DH and I wondered how Martin Freeman would come across as we both find him a little insincere. By the end of the programme we'd completely changed our view. What an amazing story, they didn't even look at his mothers side of the family so they could do another show.

Fimbo Thu 20-Aug-09 21:23:21

I wish you could apply to be on it, mind you thousands would apply, but wouldn't it be fab to have all that extra help to find out about your ancestors.

Anyone watch the Kim Cattrell one? She found out her mother had half siblings still alive. Her mother contact them after filming.

PinkChick Thu 20-Aug-09 21:29:23

i did, i enjoyed that one..it said at the end the mum had contacted the 1/2 family in austrailia didnt it, must have been hard for them

Fimbo Thu 20-Aug-09 21:39:55

Yip. I thought Kim was a bit cold, she didn't seem to want to contact the siblings in Australia. I wonder if they knew?

Megglevache Thu 20-Aug-09 22:55:15

I found the Kim Katrall one upsetting -her poor mother and aunties- oh bless them livin gin such squalor whilst their selfish arse of a father pissed off and started another family!

PinkChick Fri 21-Aug-09 08:11:21

maybe she thought they would be more interested knowing who she was and left it to her mum to make contact, im guessing she would not know what they were interested in if shed done it?

yada Fri 21-Aug-09 08:22:39

is it repeated at anypoint, i watched it and was about 15 mins in when i realised dh would have enjoyed it.

edam Fri 21-Aug-09 09:00:50

Didn't think Kim Cattrell was cold, far from it. More appalled at the way her grandfather had behaved. It's an hour long programme, presumably they couldn't squash Australia in - or she had other filming commitments.

Wasn't it syphilis contracted from her husband that killed Mrs Beeton at age around 25? V. v. common in those days. Surprised they said penicillin came in in the early 20th Century though, I had been under the impression it didn't become a mainstream treatment until the late 30s.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now