Talk

Advanced search

Is there already a thread about the Louis Theroux programme from last night? Or did anyone see it?

(16 Posts)
flashharriet Mon 10-Aug-09 17:32:29

Talk about eye-opening. I was thinking it wouldn't be a bad documentary to show to kids at school.

A great programme but what a complete and utter mess though sad.

Hassled Mon 10-Aug-09 17:36:37

I saw it - I thought Louis T handled it all very well. Much better than in those "let's mock people in a vaguely subtle way" shows he used to do.

You're right - it should be shown in High Schools. Was all very sobering.

owlandpussycat Mon 10-Aug-09 17:36:55

I think he was in shock for most of the programme!

What was that couple like- yet devoted to each other.

notnowbernard Mon 10-Aug-09 17:38:04

The couple were completely and utterly co-dependent

To stay clean and sober they would need to separate and stay separated

Grim viewing

flashharriet Mon 10-Aug-09 17:52:02

And the number of abandoned children along the way sad. He'd get talking to someone.you'd think they sounded vaguely together and then it would come out they'd lost custody of 4 or 5 children. And that poor daughter whose mother relapsed and ended up in prison sad sad. Grim indeed.

Agree that LT handled the whole thing really well.

noddyholder Mon 10-Aug-09 17:53:38

My 15 yr old ds watched it and I agree it would be excellent for schools.that couple were in serious denial although she may have ahd a chance without him.i love Louis

Embuggerance Mon 10-Aug-09 17:54:07

all those women rolling their prams into the rehab centre. And so many with their children not living with them.

And having often been the only sobre person in muh milder parties where much milder substances have been taken and felt weird and isolated, I though Louis was an absolulte star at that blokes house, where all the men were off their tits. (those poor kids though!)

CharCharGabor Mon 10-Aug-09 17:54:13

God yes it was awful sad I cried at some points. So bleak and hopeless. I agree that it was handled well.

lou031205 Mon 10-Aug-09 17:54:56

You could feel their pain. Totally destroyed by their addictions.

flashharriet Mon 10-Aug-09 17:55:15

noddy, what did your ds make of it? Am wondering whether ds (10) is a bit too young.

Embuggerance Mon 10-Aug-09 17:58:21

There was the one chap who honestly believed he wasbeing a good father by having totally removed himself from his children so they were not witness to his drufg lifestyle.
Not a thought of , no, a better fasther is one who is actually in his dc's life...

I also realised I had no idea of what actually crystal meth was before the programme.

Lizzylou Mon 10-Aug-09 18:01:39

It was so shocking, wasn't it?
Those poor children.

MarshaBrady Mon 10-Aug-09 18:03:03

I thought it was a brilliant programme. Really devastating sad and human - as in vulnerable.

The girl laughing then crying when asked of her children, piling on drugs to block out the pain.

I was constantly surprised at how trusting the users were in letting cameras and Louis into their lives.

sherby Mon 10-Aug-09 18:05:21

got it on the planner

watched about 20 mins last night, v grim but real viewing

noddyholder Mon 10-Aug-09 18:20:23

harriet he was really shocked I think to see the reality.My brother was a heroin addict and we have always been v open with him but this was the first time he really saw it iykwim.At the end he said he will never touch anything like that

cocolepew Mon 10-Aug-09 18:25:49

Some of the people didn't stand a chance; the lady who'd been with her husband for so long, she'd been repeatedly raped by dealers as a child. The man (boy?) at the BBQ, his dad was a dealer with The Hells Angels and he'd been on it since the age of 11. So sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now