Talk

Advanced search

Eggheads last night..........

(8 Posts)
lottiejenkins Sat 08-Aug-09 11:10:00

I have now downloaded it to watch with my son who is profoundly deaf, apparently the deaf group beat the Eggheads and won £23,000!! So nice to see sign language being used!!!

edam Sat 08-Aug-09 11:13:22

Brilliant! Heard something on the radio about it yesterday - You and Yours on R4, I think - but it was before the broadcast so didn't know the result.

edam Sat 08-Aug-09 11:14:29

They must be v. clever, whenever I've caught the show the contestants have lost and the prize has rolled over from previous weeks so clearly everyone else has lost too.

lottiejenkins Sat 08-Aug-09 11:26:44

Apparently two of them were on the team that won a British Deaf Quiz a few years ago, i have been in email contact with Daphne Fowler in the past and have just emailed her to tell her how much ds enjoyed watching it!!

AitchTwoOh Sat 08-Aug-09 11:44:29

tell him to get his application for cbbc shows in, lottie, on you and yours they were saying that they are actively trying to 'normalise' (iykwim?) the sight of people with disabilities on tv quizzes etc. grin

AitchTwoOh Sat 08-Aug-09 11:45:19

they also had the capt of the team on the radio, he pointed out that some changes had to be made... wink no music round, he was amused to relate.

margotfonteyn Sat 08-Aug-09 12:30:03

Yes, I watched it too. I just knew they were going to win.....

edam Sat 08-Aug-09 12:35:34

It was great to hear the captain on the radio - not so long since you would have had stations saying 'what, a deaf person on the radio, no-one will understand...'

And the presenter interviewing them happens to be blind. Once heard him telling a funny story about walking with a friend and falling down a flight of steps - when he protested, saying, 'why didn't you warn me', his friend said, oops, thing is I don't think of you as blind...

Sign of progress, the same way a female newsreader interviewing a female correspondent always gives me a little thrill. When I was very little I remember a big fuss about Angela Rippon 'because women don't have the authority to read the news'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now