Talk

Advanced search

I still dont understand planet of the apes!!!!

(5 Posts)
RoseBlossoms Sat 01-Aug-09 22:31:02

It is now on E4 and ive half heartedly watched it while MNing and potterering about!

Can anyone explain? did he time travel? How? POr is it a parallel universe?

PortAndLemon Mon 03-Aug-09 12:37:07

The original, or the remake?

babyignoramus Tue 04-Aug-09 12:39:14

SPOILER!

As I understand it - the idea is that you're meant to think they've travelled to another planet. But then he comes across the foot of the statue of liberty you realise it was actually Earth and they've (presumably) time travelled. The whole 'they finally did it' speech at the end refers to humans finally destroying themselves with technology/war etc., thus leading to apes taking over as the dominant species.

Hope that helps!!

babyignoramus Tue 04-Aug-09 12:40:19

NB in the orginal I think they were supposed to have gone through a wormhole in space, can't remember the remake!

mayorquimby Tue 04-Aug-09 13:41:35

the original they time travel to the point where apes have evolved.
in the remake they skip to another dimension where the GM chimps from the space station eventually come to dominate the astronauts and evolve to the dominant species.
mark wahlbergs characted skips to the same dimension but thousands of years later.
in the end the power mad,human hating general appears to be defeated but upon wahlbergs return to earth he's confronted with the lincoln memorial is now a statue of that general.
which i think is meant to be interpreted as him having somehow travelled back in time (most likely using the abandoned space station) and altered history to have apes as the dominant species on earth and enslaving humanity once again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now