Talk

Advanced search

Dr Who - David Tennant - Help please!

(20 Posts)
changer22 Wed 15-Jul-09 21:26:21

I've bought DS (7 tomorrow) the complete second series (David Tennant) of Dr Who on DVD.

I was just about to wrap it up when I realised the certificate is a 12!

Normally, I would take the advice of the censors and not let him see it but... this was his main present and there's not much I can do about it now.

Is it pretty scary or would it be ok for him (and possibly his 5 year old sister)? They watched the Christmas special and thought it was the best thing ever...

SammyK Wed 15-Jul-09 21:29:59

Did the christmas special have cybermen in it?

I think it depends on the child, some would be fine watching, sensitive dcs maybe not. If they enjoyed the xmas episode will proabably be fine.

Regarding your 5 year old, can ds maybe watch as a bit of grown up time when little sister has gone to bed?

clayre Wed 15-Jul-09 21:35:26

my 4 year old ds has watched them over and over, he doesnt think they are scary, it probably depends on the child tho

changer22 Wed 15-Jul-09 21:36:02

I'm not sure about the Cybermen. The Christmas one seemed pretty scary. Dervla whats-her-face speaking as an android.

I think keeping it as a treat for him (minus DD) is a good plan. Thanks.

RustyBear Wed 15-Jul-09 21:45:13

If it's the second series box set, it hasn't got the Cybermen Christmas Special (the one from last Christmas), it's got the first DT Christmas special, which is fairly innocuous.

I've just checked my set and in fact, only one of the discs has a 12 rating, the rest are all PG. The disc with a 12 is the second disc, which has Tooth and Claw (about werewolves) School Reunion (the one with Sarah Jane) & The Girl in the Fireplace(Madame de Pompadour) Not sure which one of those rates the 12, possibly Tooth & Claw.

ButterbeerAndLemon Thu 16-Jul-09 21:15:37

DS is 4 and has watched all the second series without deep psychological trauma. I'm guessing it's the werewolf one that has attracted a 12, but I think that's rather OTT.

TheProfiteroleThief Thu 16-Jul-09 21:17:49

Honestly I think it is fine. If any of my dds had a wobble about anything we looked at the Dr wHO confidential bit of website so they saw how it was made, which diffused any fear. Plus my assertions that it was totally fictitious and could never happen

Stormfly Thu 16-Jul-09 22:07:47

My ds is 8 and has watched them all now except for three - New Earth (because I thought the pox-ridden zombies were icky and my ds is the sort to ask endless questions about why they were like that), Love and Monsters because of the sad bit with Elton's mother, and Fear Her because I didn't like the shouty dad bit. Werewolf is scary in a good way I think and is one of ds's favourites. He didn't like Idiot's Lantern as Rose gets zapped and he doesn't like the assistants getting hurt (he is a softy though). I held off on Impossible Planet and Satan Pit for a while but unneccessarily because he loves them!

The others are great episodes so it is a really good present. Perhaps you could start by watching Christmas Invasion together and then watch the others yourself first and judge it episode by episode as you will know best what your ds (and dd) will be okay with.

ButterbeerAndLemon Thu 16-Jul-09 23:02:36

Actually, yes, I take it back -- DS hasn't watched Love and Monsters, because I didn't think that was suitable (there are more sad bits, including a pretty sad ending, and IIRC some more overt sexual content than most episodes). In the others the scary stuff tends to have been resolved by the end so he quite enjoys the being-scared-then-getting-over-it-as-good-triumphs element.

changer22 Fri 17-Jul-09 18:31:48

Thanks for your replies. DS was delighted and so far (1.5 episodes in) is psychologically unscathed!

Thanks for tip off - will keep my parental control for Love and Monsters.

UnquietDad Sat 18-Jul-09 12:52:52

Series 2 - 2006 so my DCs were 6 and 4 when they watched it. No problem whatsoever. There is an innuendo-joke at the end of Love & Monsters but it will go over his head.

DadInsteadofMum Mon 20-Jul-09 13:19:42

ds2 watched it on dvd aged 5 no probs, ds1 watched it on TV aged 7 and used to have trouble getting to sleep on a Saturday night, but not permanently scarred. Depends on the kid.

Tidey Mon 20-Jul-09 13:21:40

I hated Love & Monsters, especially the blowjob paving slab thing. Bloody awful episode, regardless of the age of the viewer. He should be fine with the rest though.

ButterbeerAndLemon Mon 20-Jul-09 13:39:07

Coincidentally DH put on Love and Monsters for DS yesterday while I was otherwise occupied. He spent most of it complaining "This isn't a proper one... they are just talking..." but perked up when the monster was unveiled. And the whole Elton/Jackie thing was much tamer than I'd remembered (in my memory it had all got a lot further than it actually did), and the innuendo went, as would be expected, completely over his head. He was sad about the ending, but not as sad as he'd have been if he'd been more engaged by the episode.

UnquietDad Mon 20-Jul-09 14:15:58

"Love & Monsters" is one of the cleverest DW episodes ever. People don't like it because its not the usual "Doctor finds an alien/villain plan and defeats it" structure. DW fans, although they claim to love the "flexible format" of the show, are by nature really conservative...

UnquietDad Mon 20-Jul-09 14:16:15

it's

sorry

ButterbeerAndLemon Mon 20-Jul-09 15:03:33

Yes. I like Love & Monsters. I think the "don't know what you've got till it's gone" theme (although now I have "Big Yellow Taxi" stuck in my head) is a good one, and I appreciate the different perspectives on a Who story (the pre-story aspect of having time to build detailed backstory on people who'd be walk-on alien-fodder in a regular episode, and the post-story aspect of "what happens to people after the Doctor has swept through their lives and off again?"). I was surprised how many people hated it when it was first broadcast.

Tidey Mon 20-Jul-09 18:51:31

I'm not sure about the insinuation that anyone who didn't like it somehow didn't 'understand' it or is too conservative to appreciate it. It was just very childish, understandable since the villain was the result of a Blue Peter competition, but it just seemed to be trying too hard to be a comedy episode with some rather mawkish emotion thrown in to even things out. I didn't like any of the characters either.

UnquietDad Mon 20-Jul-09 22:19:27

Wasn't implying everyone thought that, but that is the reaction of a lot of the hardcore fans, who are very averse to anything "different". The villain was, I suppose, meant to be slightly idiotic as he wasn't really the point of the episode.

ConstantlyCooking Tue 21-Jul-09 09:00:03

If you are worried about any ratings you can check the bbfc website and they have detailed info on why ratings were awarded. You can then make informed choices about 12s and 12As. Remember as well that something that would have been a 12A at the cinema is automtically a 12 DVD so that under 12s cannot buy it. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now