Talk

Advanced search

how come the bbc always gives comedy jobs to middle class boys

(12 Posts)
southeastastra Thu 09-Jul-09 22:01:42

it's a bit boring.

at least bravo has the cockney geezer danny dyer

suwoo Thu 09-Jul-09 22:10:23

Who was that posh cock end that was on Top Gear on Sunday? I couldn't stand him and his braying.

southeastastra Thu 09-Jul-09 22:13:38

dunno grin

southeastastra Thu 09-Jul-09 22:13:40

dunno grin

suwoo Thu 09-Jul-09 22:15:56

DH thinks he is called Michael Mcintyre. What ever he is called, he is an unfunny public school wanker.

<<tries to calm self down>>

southeastastra Thu 09-Jul-09 22:26:39

i think the bbc is run by old public school boys

KingRolo Fri 10-Jul-09 14:58:50

Truly interesting comedy always comes from outside the middle-class-male circle so I don't know why they always seem to get the breaks.

I'm thinking of The Royle Family, Victoria Wood, Peter Kay, Father Ted... there are loads.

There was a documentary about Little Britain's Walliams and Lucas a while ago and the amount of support and breaks they got, despite many, many failures, was unbelievable. Yep, middle class boys.

Frasersmum123 Fri 10-Jul-09 16:26:32

I like Michael McIntyre blush

mrsruffallo Fri 10-Jul-09 16:50:45

I think it's one of the reasons there isn't much gripping drama these days, and nothing realistic or that people can relate to.

I read an interview with the actor who plays Lester Freamon in The Wire asking why he thought there wasn't the equivalent of the fantastic HBO shows over here, and he thought that it was because there were too many MC people with degrees in TV and that it wasn't necessary to be a graduate to write good drama.
I agree with him.

suwoo Fri 10-Jul-09 17:05:10

Do you think he's funny Frasersmum? I like Russell Brand and me and DH are going to see Simon Amstell in October. Thinking about it, Simon Amstell is fairly posh isn't he.

KingRolo Fri 10-Jul-09 18:34:44

Agree mrsruffallo.

I bet Paul Abbot hasn't got a crappy 2:2 in media studies and he wrote probably the best new TV drama of recent years with Shameless.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Sat 11-Jul-09 18:04:44

No Paul Abbott hasn't got a crappy 2:2 in media studies but he did start (and then drop out of) psychology at Manchester Uni

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now