Talk

Advanced search

Official - Aleisha replaces Arlene as Strictly Judge - how depressing...

(71 Posts)
extremelychocolateymilkroll Thu 09-Jul-09 13:50:07

It's now been confirmed that Arlene Phillips is being shoved aside for Aleisha Dixon - here. Darcy Bussell will be a guest judge later in the series. Replacing a very experienced choreographer with a pop singer who dances a bit and a ballet dancer. They're obviously following the X Factor trick of getting rid of Sharon Osbourne and bringing in Twiglet Cole. But Strictly appeals to an older age group than X Factor - and revamping it by adding Aleisha won't bring in a younger audience and will only annoy the older element - i.e. over 30. So we have Len Goodman, about the same age as Arlene, and Bruce who is old enough to be her father. I feel like not watching the show in protest but that's not going to change anything, is it? Couldn't we organise a mass revolt?

yappybluedog Thu 09-Jul-09 13:51:37

god, how does Darcy Bussell get so much work? tis amazing

Iklboo Thu 09-Jul-09 13:52:28

That's poo! I know Aleisha won the show but she's not specifically qualified on the technicalities of the dance/dancers like Arlene is.

What next - bin off Bruno and replace him with Gino de Campo?

GIvePeasAChance Thu 09-Jul-09 13:53:37

Very depressing. Arlene was brilliant. Aleisha nice but way too smiley

extremelychocolateymilkroll Thu 09-Jul-09 13:54:31

The judges are supposed to be quite pally - especially Bruno and Arlene. You think they could have all threatened to walk - surely that would have stopped the BBC.

BitOfFun Thu 09-Jul-09 13:56:00

I think they should dump the fellas too then- why the sexism as well as ageism?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 09-Jul-09 13:57:53

That is wrong on so many levels but AP has ben very gracious when talking about it on DID.

AD is a bit up herself imo and believed that BF said far too much.

GIvePeasAChance Thu 09-Jul-09 13:58:06

Too right BoF

They could have Darren Gough and John Seargent, seeing as we all loved them too [the bbc are not quite getting it emoticon]

extremelychocolateymilkroll Thu 09-Jul-09 13:58:51

Because we're used to the old guy/young woman or totty combination - Bruce and Tess, Cowell and Morgan and Cheryl Cole, Phil Schofield and that Holly big boobs one who is due to replace Fern. We need a revolution to change things.

lisad123 Thu 09-Jul-09 14:13:15

cant stand her, she is awful. But I might be a bit unfair as I know of her in RL

wasabipeanut Thu 09-Jul-09 14:19:11

That's TV for you. Harsh but true. If you feel that strongly then boycott the show. Ratings talk people!

sis Thu 09-Jul-09 14:36:21

I loved Alesha on the show and was really happy when she won. I am, hoever, a bit worried that she will only say positive things as a judge and won't be able to give constructive criticism along the lines that Arlene did (well, she managed to give some constructive criticism when she wasn't drooling over some of the male contestents).

AnyoneForPimms Fri 10-Jul-09 06:34:17

That stinks. angry

We all love Strictly in our house and can't believe it will be the same without Arlene fighting with Craig

Holly to replace Fern? How did I miss that? hmm Tell me more

tribpot Fri 10-Jul-09 06:39:43

Totally agree that this is a disgrace. Arlene is a professional with many, many years of experience and to off her for a what is essentially a talented amateur of dance is an outrage.

NeedaNewName Fri 10-Jul-09 06:54:25

Well we shall probably no longer watch the show - how on earth can you replace a professional dance coreographer with a bit of fluff - absolutely ridiculous.

Why on earth would they want to tempt the X factor crowd - why can't you have a different kind of audience.

beardydad Fri 10-Jul-09 09:58:11

And I don't think Aleisha can master the 'cats bum sucking a lemon face' Arlene did quite a lot...

extremelychocolateymilkroll Fri 10-Jul-09 11:40:43

On one level of course it is just a tv show but it's really annoying that a show which is so popular with very young and old can give out this message - if you're a woman over 40, forget it. The sad fact is that we may feel like saying we won't watch it again many probably will as the show is about more than just the judges. I know there has been some coverage in the media but it will probably just fizzle out - not helped by Arlene herself taking a role with the One Show as their Strictly correspondent. Surely more people should be up in arms? If one or two say they might boycott it that's different from a group of people getting together to lobby against the decision.

Simples Fri 10-Jul-09 11:42:02

WHAT WITH NO MARGARET ON APPRENTICE WHERE ARE ALL THE OLDER WOMEN

extremelychocolateymilkroll Fri 10-Jul-09 11:46:21

Exactly. Used to think it was because men were calling the shots but there are women at the top of the BBC - like Jay Hunt - who are complicit in these decisions. If it were any other show you might shrug your shoulders but somehow Strictly is different with the audience it attracts - and these are mainly women judging by the success of Tom Chambers last year.

Simples Fri 10-Jul-09 11:47:35

and selina
in Gh this month

GypsyMoth Fri 10-Jul-09 11:57:51

Len goodman was adjucator for one of my dance medal tests back in the 80's!!

Being from a ballroom dancing background myself (parents teach and run classes, used to compete) then I'd say neither arlene, darcy or aleisha are much use!!! Though ballet foot positioning is used in old time dancing, and posture and deportment are in all forms of dance,would they be aware of the heel/toe movements of a 'whisk'? Rise and fall of a waltz? A chassis? Do they know these dance steps? Don't seem to.

Hotcrossbunny Fri 10-Jul-09 12:01:34

I can't believe they think that Aleisha is qualified to judge other celebrities dancing, when she's only just gone through the process herselfangry

I like Aleisha, but why can't they find her another TV vehicle? Maybe inspiring children to dance or something. She is definitely not the right person for Strictly..

Are we sure that Arlene was definitely pushed? If so, then it's very very wrong.

Again I quite like Darcey, but Strictly isn't the right place for her either.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Fri 10-Jul-09 12:07:05

If you would like to complain to the BBC this is the link. You can also read their risible explanation as to why Arlene has been replaced.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Fri 10-Jul-09 14:11:00

Just wanted to add that if you do complain you get an automated email saying the same thing they have said on the website - that they want to revamp the show. No explanation as to why it's the only woman over 40 they replace. I called and asked how many people had complained and was told quite a few but that the number would only be released by the Press Office if the number of complaints in itself became an issue - so let's complain away!

UnquietDad Fri 10-Jul-09 14:17:24

I don't watch "Strickly" (yuk) but Alisha was meant to be the new face of the Lottery show last year. That never came about. She'd have been much warmer than that Jenny Scottish bint who is possibly the most uncharismatic female on TV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now