Talk

Advanced search

Battlestar Galactica fans-I need some help here!

(25 Posts)
Fillyjonk Mon 15-Jun-09 18:54:52

DP is a Battlestar Galactica fan. I am really not, but I like knitting and can see how the two could be not incompatible.

It is our anniversary next week and woohoo older kids are off with gps, SO I want to buy him one of the BS box sets. I only want to buy one season, we don't normally get a chance to watch tv.

Obvious thing would be to buy season 1.

BUT seem to recall DP saying that BS got significantly better after a few series. Does this make any sense? Could it have been series 3?

Any thoughts, because I have no frakking idea....

Fillyjonk Mon 15-Jun-09 18:55:48

(note kids are off with GPs for three whole days.

We are not spending our anniversary watching BS.)

yama Mon 15-Jun-09 18:58:48

Series 1 is cringe-worthy. We battled our way through as we heard (on Mumsnet) that it did get better. Series 2 is very good - we are about halfway through.

yama Mon 15-Jun-09 18:59:17

Oh, and there are only 4 series.

FromGirders Mon 15-Jun-09 19:00:01

I really think you have to start at the beginning - it's all arc storyline.

sylar Mon 15-Jun-09 19:05:56

Has he seen it all? You can't go in at series three unless he has. We watched all of it and I struggled at times to follow it through!

Ewe Mon 15-Jun-09 19:08:57

DP thinks HMV have a sale on series 1-4 boxset... will see if I can get him to find a link!

Ewe Mon 15-Jun-09 19:10:45

If it's within budget it's the way to go according to DP!

Fillyjonk Mon 15-Jun-09 19:11:07

oh yes he has seen it all

do you think series 3, but then he gets additional fun of explaining it to me?

there is a miniseries too, how does that work?

Fillyjonk Mon 15-Jun-09 19:12:05

you know what ewe that isn't a bad idea

but what is this miniseries? do i need that too?

Ewe Mon 15-Jun-09 19:15:18

What about mini series for Father's Day? Then the full boxset for anniversary?

Tidey Mon 15-Jun-09 19:16:12

A word of warning on the boxset though - Make sure it actually has all of the episodes on it. DP bought one on sale in HMV a few months ago and it only has half of season 4 on it, as the rest of the final season was only released a couple of weeks ago.

Fillyjonk Mon 15-Jun-09 19:28:14

ah i see re boxset. oh dear

so there is a miniseries AND a proper series?

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 15-Jun-09 19:30:17

Series one was good, series 2 was crap. Series 3 is good afaik! Not seen series 4 yet.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 15-Jun-09 19:31:43

and then there is the film - you need to see that really as well.

Tidey Mon 15-Jun-09 19:33:26

There was a three hour long miniseries, which was followed by seasons 1, 2 and 3, then a feature length episode called Battlestar Galactica : Razor, then the final fourth season. All of the above are included on the boxset linked to above but the second half of season four is missing.

As far as I know.

Ewe Mon 15-Jun-09 19:33:48

The mini series is the prequel to the BG series. More like a film, setting the scene, than a series iyswim.

Tidey is right about the box set and disc four as it has a break due to the writers strike so is a two part series. You would have to buy the fourth series in two parts anyway so you are better off getting the box set still.

Tidey Mon 15-Jun-09 19:37:53

This appears to be the whole lot but is quite a lot more expensive than the one from HMV.

Ewe Mon 15-Jun-09 19:40:51

That is only available for pre-order too Tidey.

Tidey Mon 15-Jun-09 19:42:59

Oh yeah, I didn't notice that Ewe! I just thought maybe they were selling off the incomplete boxsets cheap because that was out already and mad sci-fi collector people would want it [D'oh emoticon]

grin

sfxmum Mon 15-Jun-09 19:45:44

I expect at some point near Christmas there will be a special edition box set which will include all even the webisodes I live in hope and saving money and request for that treatgrin

Fillyjonk Mon 15-Jun-09 19:48:53

ok

given we have about 2 evenings, max, how about i just buy series 3, and some beer. Would that work?

Tidey Mon 15-Jun-09 19:52:00

I'm sure it would, Fillyjonk, and then you could buy him the other seasons for other occasions. My DP has been receiving various sci-fi DVDs for every birthday, Xmas and Father's Day for some time now grin Very handy if he's collecting something, much easier to think of gifts!

Fillyjonk Tue 16-Jun-09 17:23:04

'ello

have bought season 3

nearly bought miniseries but then discovered it had dead babies in it and can't have that...

Fillyjonk Tue 16-Jun-09 17:23:42

(thanks all, btw! frakking great. Yes. <nods sagely in way of one down with lingo>)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now