Talk

Advanced search

Spring Watch - where's Bill Oddie?

(26 Posts)
RacingSnake Wed 27-May-09 21:55:59

This is my favourite program of the year and I can't watch it because it is in supper/bath/bed hour. Therefore I don't know what has happened to Bill Oddie. Not saying it is worse without him - he was getting a bit irritating. I was rather sad about that as I have fond memories of his show in the seventies. The Goodies. Probably better that he is removed, in fact.

MrsMcCluskey Wed 27-May-09 21:56:35

They keep saying he isnt very well...

Tn0g Wed 27-May-09 22:00:20

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that his mental health is not too good at the moment...but I may be wrong.

I often am grin

sphil Wed 27-May-09 22:14:11

I read that he admitted himself to hospital earlier this year with clinical depression. He's a cantankerous old sod but I have always felt sympathetic towards him since I saw 'Who Do You Think You Are?' whe he found out about his Mum losing a baby and being hospitalised, probably with PND. She was in an insitution for much of her life, I believe, and he had very little contact.

MrsMcCluskey Wed 27-May-09 22:41:15

Chris Packham is doing a good job and is very easy on the eye!

mumblecrumble Wed 27-May-09 22:53:21

He's FABULOUS!!! We have become fans of the show now Bill Oddie is left.

CHris Packem... welll... takes me back to my 'Really Wild SHow' days.

I have his autograph you know...... grin

MrsMcCluskey Wed 27-May-09 22:56:18

I used to love him on the really wild show so am jealous MC!
Loved his footie score tshirt tonight!

mankyscotslass Thu 28-May-09 09:09:47

Bill Oddie suffers from depression, and every few years needs intensive treatment. I thought the "Who do you think you are" programme was very moving.

He has ben very honest about his battle with the illness. I hope he wins this skirmish soon.

minko Thu 28-May-09 15:13:34

Is that really Chris Packham's house in Springwatch? Very idylllic, he must get paid OK!

OlympedeGouges Thu 28-May-09 15:21:17

I heart Bill Oddie. SpringWatch not the same without him. Those bloody awful Breakfast presenters were so rude to him last year. Fuckers.

funtimewincies Thu 28-May-09 19:26:59

Sorry, but Chris Packham is just too creepy and if I was Kate Humble I'd have put a stop to the clammy-looking touchy-feely stuff that he keeps doing right away. Ewww grin.

Hope that Bill is better soon.

MiniMarmite Thu 28-May-09 20:13:37

I remember being a bit obsessed with CP when I was about 10 blush

RacingSnake Thu 28-May-09 22:14:36

Now feeling awful for saying bad things about Bill Oddie. blush Come back, Bill!

Tn0g Thu 28-May-09 22:18:40

grin

Yeah.

Bring Back Bill!

mooseloose Thu 28-May-09 22:34:29

ds9 has refused to watch it because Bill isn't on it!

Tn0g Thu 28-May-09 22:36:41

It's just not the same.

Like Gardener's World without Monty.

Tn0g Thu 28-May-09 22:37:53

Gardeners', even!

< shamed >

mollythetortoise Fri 29-May-09 08:29:24

I'm liking CP alot (although I remain a BO fan too). He seems to have the hots for kate. he went to Southampton University and i went there too after him and long after he had graduated he would still go to the localstudent nitespot "Jesters" which I though abit weird. he would be harrassed all night by drunk people asking him what the fastest land mammal was (a cheetah btw). I do think he is very natural presenter, funny, interesting with amusing ancedotes and obviously v. knowledgeable. and I think the "chemistry" between him and kate seems more relaxed and fun. I always felt abit nervous watching Bill and Kate as Bill was such a grumpy osd (in a lovable way although I suspect he is very hard to direct/ work with.

MamaHobgoblin Fri 29-May-09 21:12:12

Molly - yes, there is a lot of chemistry between CP and Kate, isn't there? I heart him too, ever since RWS days! blush

Bill Oddie was getting really stuck in a rut in the show - I hope he gets better again soon, but his problems aside, I didn't really enjoy him on the show last year. Feel evil saying that, but...

MamaHobgoblin Fri 29-May-09 21:12:13

Molly - yes, there is a lot of chemistry between CP and Kate, isn't there? I heart him too, ever since RWS days! blush

Bill Oddie was getting really stuck in a rut in the show - I hope he gets better again soon, but his problems aside, I didn't really enjoy him on the show last year. Feel evil saying that, but...

MamaHobgoblin Fri 29-May-09 21:12:18

foxinsocks Fri 29-May-09 21:13:17

I haven't been watching without Bill either for some reason

ToothFaerie Wed 10-Jun-09 19:14:38

I do not mean him and harm, but the programme is much better without him. He is irritating, chauvinistic, big headed and about as funny as a pineapple up the bum or at least removing the said Prickly fruit.

If he is unwell then I hope he gets well soon, but stays away from the TV and retires and enjoys the rest of his life.

Take care of you and yours.

hazeyjane Wed 10-Jun-09 19:18:22

I miss Bill. I thought he was always lovely on Cbeebies Springwatch too.

My mum met him at charity event she was involved with and said he was charming and lovely.

llareggub Wed 10-Jun-09 19:19:29

Molly, I did indeed stumble over him at Jesters but I didn't ask him about animals! Someone told me he owned a share, which might explain why he was there on 50p a pint night!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now