Talk

Advanced search

life before birth

(49 Posts)
alexsmum Fri 08-Apr-05 08:35:09

who saw this last night? oh my god it was amazing!!! i was sitting watching it in tears! and my babies are pretty grown up now ( 5 and 18 months)
it made me so broody! i found it really moving. just wondered what other peoples thoughts were?

morningpaper Fri 08-Apr-05 08:36:38

I thought it was fascinating but TOO LONG and I found Roger McGough's 'poetry' quite excruitiating. I wanted to turn the sound down. I gave up after an hour.

Not watched Channel 4 for months, possibly years - bloody adverts drove me CRAZY!

morningpaper Fri 08-Apr-05 08:37:05

Also I REALLY wanted to know what were model and what were fetuses. Anyone know?

Amanda3266 Fri 08-Apr-05 08:40:35

It wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be. The poetry was nice but not really necessary - and the advert breaks drove me mad. Very moving though in places. The birth footage at the end made me yearn for a return to midwifery.

Amberlilli Fri 08-Apr-05 08:40:45

I realised what a shock it must be for a baby to be born into the world. Imagine if you could experience that again!
I thought the 4d pictures were amazing, and must be a real 'bonding' experience for the parents.

Amberlilli Fri 08-Apr-05 08:42:37

I agree about the poetry being unneccessary, i thought the line, "will it be curtains for me?" quite distasteful.

lockets Fri 08-Apr-05 08:45:12

Message withdrawn

Expectantmum Fri 08-Apr-05 08:46:19

I managed to stay awake for the first hour and was gutted when I woke up this morning as I had nagged my DP all week about wanting to watch it and then nagged him again last night about watching it and then I fell asleep!! You can't imagine the amount of grief I got this morning from him! What I did see what amazing though and gives me more of an idea of exactly whats going on inside me now (am 29 weeks!). I too thought that poetry was a wee bit distasteful at times and the programme was slightly longer than necessary (even though I didn't see it all!). Think they focussed on too much in some areas and not enough at others - if that makes sense!

blueteddy Fri 08-Apr-05 09:05:59

Made me feel terrible when they said about the un-born baby reacting to the mothers stress & anxieties.
I had a bad case of anti natal depression while pregnant with ds2 & I was awake in the middle of the night worrying about how much damage that may have done to him.
He is now a very happy 2 year old though!

Made me feel terrible when they said about the un-born baby reacting to the mothers stress & anxieties.
I had a bad case of anti natal depression while pregnant with ds2 & I was awake in the middle of the night worrying about how much damage that may have done to him.

blueteddy Fri 08-Apr-05 09:06:06

blueteddy Fri 08-Apr-05 09:06:07

morningpaper Fri 08-Apr-05 09:07:25

Poor you blueteddy!

I felt a bit bad watching the placenta filtering out the nutrients from the mother's bloodstream for the baby - knowing that my current 15-week fetus is living on Burger King and Haribo!

WideWebWitch Fri 08-Apr-05 09:08:31

I thought it was far too long, I wasn't mad keen on the computer generated pictures, which were quite a large percentage of the programme but I thought the 3d pictures were interesting. I couldn't stand the poetry though, I can think of something that rhymes with Roger McGough I wish I'd recorded it so I could skip through the irritating bits.

Fio2 Fri 08-Apr-05 09:12:01

i wasdnt allowed to watch it in case i got broody

LeahE Fri 08-Apr-05 09:12:26

I thought the poetry was irritating and there was too much filler, also too much computer generated imagery. If they'd cut out the poetry and concentrated more on real images they could have got it down to half the length and I think then it would have been much better.

Twiglett Fri 08-Apr-05 09:16:19

I thought the 3d and 4d shots in utero were fabulous

I found the voice-over quite banal and the poetry FFS what the hell was all that about

The camera jittering from one scene to another was annoying me so much (not when it was trying to reflect the baby's movement, but when it was 'editing') that I had to switch off

Shame when fabulous footage of in utero development is ruined by poorly conceived badly edited bollocks

does put a different perspective on the 'abortion till 24 weeks' argument IMHO

Twiglett Fri 08-Apr-05 09:18:12

I also found the CGi shots of the baby with its eyes open quite freakily scary for some reason

Merlin Fri 08-Apr-05 09:19:37

Fascinating, but way too long IMO.

beansprout Fri 08-Apr-05 09:20:39

Those eyes were WAY too big. Looked like ET's. I was spooked!

Went off on a complete guilt trip about my c-section birth. No wonder ds screamed for hours after he was born!!

sparklymieow Fri 08-Apr-05 09:24:39

I fell asleep too, got to 33 weeks, and missed the end. Thought it was a amazing... found the poetry a bit OTT

Twiglett Fri 08-Apr-05 09:29:59

what did it say about c-sections?? I missed that (I had 2 and both of mine were remarkably calm afterwards and turned into placid babies)

yoyo Fri 08-Apr-05 09:33:25

I thought it was way too long - ended up reading a book and glancing at the screen occasionally. The computer-generated images were clever but personally I preferred the 4D images. As for the poetry - how simplistic and banal! It would have been so much better if it had been on for an hour. It didn't know whether to be informative or artistic and as a result failed on both counts.

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 08-Apr-05 09:35:43

I thought it was amazing. I could watch programmes like that all day.

Fasinating to think what your body actually does during pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now