Talk

Advanced search

Let's talk about Pete Owen Jones, shall we?

(16 Posts)
WilfSell Sun 11-Jan-09 22:12:36

DH and I were watching him last night doing his <hackneyed old genre> 80 Faiths around the world thing.

And of course - very interesting though it was - we spent much time debating him. He's definitely got the Aristo younger son in the clergy public school voice. And yet he looks so wonderfully, er, ravaged <trying to be pointed without sounding libellous>.

And also kind of naff, with his cuban heels and his slightly dirty FE lecturer circa 1986 clothing.

But for all that, I like him. There's nothing like a bit of incongruity in a vicar to be appealing <disclaimer: not at all religious but I do like those vicars I do know to be interesting grin>

What do you think? An interesting life? Or just a cliché?

Tinker Sun 11-Jan-09 22:26:11

Just googled and found this which may explain his slightly raddled appearance - Australian sun and pre-god life:

"Peter Owen Jones dropped out of public school at the age of 16 and went to Australia to make his fortune. Returning to London, he started in advertising as a messenger boy and worked his way up to creative director. In his late 20s and with a wife and two children, he gave it all up to follow a calling to the Anglican ministry by enrolling at Ridley Hall, Cambridge. He charts the many battles he had to fight on the road to ordination and the many varied characters who people this world largely unimagined by the majority of the British public. With the eye of an outsider he observes the arguments that rage between evangelicals, Anglo-Catholics and liberals. He chronicles the highs and lows of the college football team. And, above all, he bears witness to his vision of God that has led him to this place which leaves him not a little sceptical of the role of the Church today. Peter Owen Jones is now a curate in a remote Fenland village. In early 1996 he gained a certain notoriety when he conducted a service for the Newbury by-pass protestors."

WilfSell Mon 12-Jan-09 16:34:09

Advertising agent turned vicar?! Excellent.

Penthesileia Mon 12-Jan-09 16:38:33

I was thinking about starting a thread about him the other day.

On the contrary, I think he's a bit of an arse.

And, frankly, a heretic.

<disclaimer: am an agnostic, so don't particularly care from a religious p.o.v. if he mindlessly applies a kind of woolly pantheism to his particular brand of anglicanism; but as someone with a certain intellectual interest in church history, I say BURN HIM!)

Penthesileia Mon 12-Jan-09 16:39:17

<lights pyre>

WilfSell Mon 12-Jan-09 16:41:38

Tell me more why he's an arse pls?

<ie explain intellectual church history stuff and why he can't do what he does>

<sleepless and dim emoticon>

Penthesileia Mon 12-Jan-09 16:46:05

Perhaps I'm overreacting! grin

What I mean is, in this and his last series, he goes and visits people of different faiths, what have you, and then says something unthinking like, 'Wow - your [insert god here] is rather like JC/ or the Virgin Mary', or whatever.

Now - don't get me wrong (and I am being somewhat tongue in cheek here, I hope you understand), I'm as interested in cultural comparativism as the next woman, but plenty of people in the CoE are woolly and unthinking enough without spouting this kind of (heretical) nonsense! I'd rather see someone with half a brain and a slightly more profound grasp of (their own) religion actually talk about it and, frankly, how they differ. Because, after all, how they differ is one of the reasons we all struggle so to get on!

DYSWIM?

Penthesileia Mon 12-Jan-09 16:47:23

And furthermore, people like POJ are exactly the reason why the CoE is its own worst enemy. Bringing the church down from within!

WilfSell Mon 12-Jan-09 21:14:42

So he's just a louche heretical hippy then, IYVHO? grin

Penthesileia Mon 12-Jan-09 21:16:38

Yes,

Burn him.

grin

lucysnowe Mon 12-Jan-09 22:04:19

I am torn too. Sometimes I think he looks like a weird old woman, other time surprisingly fit in a sincere-but-silly kind of way.

I know what you mean Pen tho, I was hoping the prog would be a little more rigorous. Especially when he decided to join in the coven to make up for the church burning a load of women or some nonsense. It sounded like he'd swallowed thingy Gardner whole. hmm

Animation Sat 08-May-10 15:29:31

I watched him last night on his new TV series about how to live a simple life. I liked his message about getting closer to nature, rejecting the rat race and our need "for more". In fact it was a very entertaining programme - I'll be watching it again next Friday at 9pm.

He is very charming and obviously well liked, but there is something about him that doesn't add up - like contradictions ethically. I found myself wondering what kind of husband and dad he was like to his x wife and 4 children.

MarthaQuest Sun 09-May-10 21:44:54

I quite fancy him. I may have had a dream about him last night.

MarthaQuest Sun 09-May-10 21:46:12

At first I thought he was related to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall-he's a very similar type.

pixistars Sat 22-May-10 05:42:06

There is something a bit sexy about him, in a wierd way. I didn't think much of him in 80 faiths, but in how to live a simple life he has become my new secret wierd crush, lol.
Marthaquest....my exact thought was he is a better looking HFW

MarthaQuest Sat 22-May-10 11:58:45

yes they both have that unkempt, unwashed
thing going on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now