Talk

Advanced search

supersize kids?????

(18 Posts)
maisystar Tue 15-Mar-05 21:12:19

god how sad is this??

vict17 Tue 15-Mar-05 22:09:33

awful. They were such lovely kids though weren't they? Which made it all the more heart breaking. Hope they can find there way to healthier lives

tiktok Wed 16-Mar-05 15:08:44

It was interesting that the girl only really lost weight when she changed her eating - exercise wasn't enough. You can lose weight with exercise alone if you don't mind it coming off slowly = half a stone in two months, wasn't it? That would be fine for most people, but not if you have a lot to lose and want to do it quickly.

I thought the trainer was great - he really connected with the boy. Poor kid - he had a real problem with food. It was obvious he was continuing to put away the chips.

SecondhandRose Wed 16-Mar-05 15:41:15

I thought it was so sad as there really wasn't any proper support from either family. The Dad of the girl seemed to think it was all a big joke and the boy was still being given money to spend on whatever.

How on earth a 13 year boy can get to 26 stone sounds like child abuse to me. His poor knees looked like they were going to give in.

FIMAC1 Wed 16-Mar-05 20:02:06

The parents should be had up for child abuse - well OK, abit strong, but made to take Nutrition classes (with an exam at the end). What were they thinking of even letting them get to q quarter of the size they are? Those poor kids, lets hope they manage to get back to a more normal weight - which is probably quite hard now, and have a happy healthy future. Somehow I think that weight is going to a a struggle for them to shift though

Tinker Tue 22-Mar-05 22:46:23

Anyone watch it? Thought the mother of the mother and daughter combo had actively discourageed her daughter from eating healthily just to bolster her own denial about her own lack of control. So there! They did look amazingly different after surgery though.

Beetroot Tue 22-Mar-05 22:48:09

Message withdrawn

Tinker Tue 22-Mar-05 22:49:48

Was very pleased for the girl who'd lost all that weight though and had the skin removed, she looked great afterwards.

Beetroot Tue 22-Mar-05 22:50:17

Message withdrawn

Mog Wed 23-Mar-05 09:37:36

I was a little bit concerned that it was slipped in that the doctor had said she shouldn't have children after the full body lift. I know she was adamant she didn't want children but thought it was very young to make such a major decision.

Also wondered how do you make sure you get enough energy and vitamins when you have the gastric bypass - the portions they could eat were tiny.

Beetroot Wed 23-Mar-05 09:38:18

Message withdrawn

wheresmyfroggy Wed 23-Mar-05 09:44:28

The mother and daughter did look amazing after the surgery but the price they paid for it?

I think her dad spoke a lot of sense and although the surgery worked i think the mother just brushed him aside cos she felt guilty that she was partly (completely maybe?) to blame for her daughters weight problems

I also thought it was a shame that the young girl having the tummy tuck had to make such a major decision about having children or not, a decision you feel she will regret in later life

Beetroot Wed 23-Mar-05 09:47:11

Message withdrawn

Tinker Wed 23-Mar-05 09:54:05

SHe didn't want to risk stretching her skin again beety. Don't think she couldn't just wouldn't.

taramac Wed 23-Mar-05 09:56:32

It was advised by her doctor not to after the body lift - I presume because the skin wouldnt be able to stretch to the capacity of a pregnant belly and/or she could face the need for the same surgery again after a pregnancy. She didnt really say why it was recommended that she didnt have children just that it was so that is my assumption on why!

taramac Wed 23-Mar-05 09:57:55

Doctor did recommend that she didnt but she was ok with it as she couldnt face getting big again anyway - think she had a bit of an eating/food disorder still tbh just reversed from what it used to be - still sad I though but obviously she is much happier.

wheresmyfroggy Wed 23-Mar-05 09:58:37

I'm sure she couldn't (or could have complications if she di have kids but justified it by saying she never would anyway cos she wouldn't do anything that would make her put on weight again

puddle Wed 23-Mar-05 12:58:04

I totally agreed with Tinker re the mother and daughter - I was totally horrified by the mother's attitude and lack of interest in losing weight healthily with her daughter. The daughter obviously had some pychological problems with food which needed to be tackled. I would have thought that both those young women had compromised their fertility - the one with the stomach surgery surely won't be able to have kids either? Bethany's mother too - surely she didn't need a dietician to tell her her daughter was eating too much?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now