Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What is 'rostrum' and why does Ken Morse always do it?

(20 Posts)
puffling Thu 23-Oct-08 10:33:27

He's always listed on the credits of everything. How does he spread himself around?

MrsBadger Thu 23-Oct-08 10:41:03

dear sweet Google

Mercy Thu 23-Oct-08 10:41:55

ha!

A few years ago I went to a local history talk and we looked at some old photos. The speaker told us that Ken Morse invented the rostrum camera - I can't remmeber exactly what is though tbh, something along the lines of a photo of a photo or some other still image

stinkymonkey Thu 23-Oct-08 10:44:38

I have spoken to the famous Ken Morse! It gave me quite a flutter.

Rostrum is used when you want a moving shot of a still photo - something like a cutting from a newspaper or a photo of somebody as a child. I used to have to send newspaper cuttings to Ken Morse and he would use his special rostrum camera to film a shot of it maybe panning across, or starting in on close up and pulling out. Otherwise you just have a still shot which is v boring on TV. Should imagine it's all done digitally now, so maybe Ken's got a new camera.

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 23-Oct-08 10:46:46

I read an answer to this once in one of those random questions things in newspapers, and it said 'the reason everyone goes to Ken Morse is because he's the best, and he's got a parrot.'

suzywong Thu 23-Oct-08 10:47:27

Ah Ken Morse .....

this should go some way to explaining

puffling Thu 23-Oct-08 11:12:08

Has this thread not kicked off yet? grin
Fascinating stinky Monkey. I knew a mumsnetter would have met him!

FeelingLucky Thu 23-Oct-08 19:32:01

Had no idea Ken Morse was so famous!
I've been to do some rostruming with Ken a couple of times, but this was a few years back now. He no longer had a parrot but he still chain smoked.
His studio was a PITA to get to so I chose a more centrally located camera man ... would be interested to know what he's done about the chain smoking since the law changed.

BTW - he's a very nice man and much quicker than a lot of other cameramen.

CatMandu Thu 23-Oct-08 19:33:48

I've worked with him too, years ago. Can't remember much about him though, but he is Mr Rostrum.

PurlyQueen Fri 24-Oct-08 00:58:31

Same goes for Mykola Pawluk, who seems to edit loads of comedy shows.

puffling Fri 24-Oct-08 09:35:47

PurlyQueen you read my mind. I'd been going to ask about him aswell, I guess it's a him?

PurlyQueen Fri 24-Oct-08 13:41:18

I had always assumed Mykola Pawluk was a she until I googled him last night shock.

scampadoodle Sun 26-Oct-08 20:47:54

I always thought Ken Morse was a pseudonym for when they couldn't use someone's real name...

oops Sun 26-Oct-08 20:55:40

Message withdrawn

PoppyCock Sun 26-Oct-08 21:01:49

apparently mykola is a bit of an arse, i was disappointed to be told this by a person who worked iwth him. (i also thought it was a she)

policywonk Sun 26-Oct-08 21:05:43

LOL at this. DP is obsessed with Ken Morse. He shrieks 'KEN MORSE ON ROSTRUM' every time he sees it flash by. It was on something quite recently so KM is obviously still going strong.

Snaf Sun 26-Oct-08 21:10:05

God, I am genuinely disappointed to learn that Mykola Pawluk is actually a bloke. I always imagined 'she' would have a severe black bob and red lipstick...

oops Sun 26-Oct-08 21:10:26

Message withdrawn

procrastinatingparent Sun 26-Oct-08 21:12:02

I have always wondered this. And now I know. Thanks to the combined miracle of MN and Google, my life is now complete. No, seriously, girls.

grin

fruitstick Sun 26-Oct-08 21:25:16

Scampadoodle, you're thinking of Alan Smithee. He is the name used when a Director decides to no longer be associated with the film anymore (usually because it's dire!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now