Talk

Advanced search

Anyone watch the Dawn Porter thing last night on polygamy????

(22 Posts)
Jazzicatz Wed 22-Oct-08 09:40:06

Ewwwww!!!

ash6605 Wed 22-Oct-08 09:43:21

I had it on but didn't give it my full attention as dd kept waking up.
I love Dawn Porter she is fab,she's not afraid to ask anything!!

TskullsScreaming Wed 22-Oct-08 09:48:32

I did! I really like her programmes. She's like a female Louis Theroux covering women's subjects.

What a strange life to lead. Although blimey weren't the children a credit to them? And those houses...lovely but strangely souless and in the middle of nowhere.

Not sure about the trailer guy. That all looked a hellish situation to me.

Pawslikepaddington Wed 22-Oct-08 09:50:10

The poor women in the trailer-did you SEE the state of the house? And felt v sorry for wife no 1 of big house man.

Jazzicatz Wed 22-Oct-08 09:51:14

The trailer guy was so strange - thought he was going to proposition Dawn!

Pawslikepaddington Wed 22-Oct-08 09:51:37

Oh but I would love those wonderfully behaved children-my child shouted "I hate church it's boring!" last time we went blush, no chance of that there! And no obvious hard parenting tactics either-jolly good mums they were!

Jazzicatz Wed 22-Oct-08 09:54:26

The children were sweet but I was worried for them in the future as to how they would cope in the 'real' world!

TskullsScreaming Wed 22-Oct-08 09:57:29

There was something very 'Waltons' about it all though when they all sit up for dinner.

There's an undercurrant of huge tension there between the women. Can you imagine what a family row must be like? I can't believe they never have them. It'd be like ww3 if/when the lid blows in one of those houses.

Jazzicatz Wed 22-Oct-08 10:00:05

The 'Waltons' family were okish but the trailer family were seriously weird and seemed more about the man wanting loads of women than a strong religious belief

DumbledoresGirl Wed 22-Oct-08 10:03:40

I thought it was skin-crawlingly awful (the situation not the programme). And I discovered something about my dh I did not like too: he can see no reason why polygamy should be disapproved of! After I had given him a long list of why I dispproved of it, he said wonderingly, "You feel strongly about this, don't you?" WTF? hmm

Mind you, none of it was quite so skin-crawlingly awful as the programme Dawn Porter did about 2 weeks ago with the woman with 3 lovers.

bigscaryorangespiderami Wed 22-Oct-08 10:08:40

Trailerguy was seriously creepy. I could not see any evidence of a religious belief there. And his wifes - who would sign up to live with an overweight slobby guy with another woman, with lots of children, in cramped and dirty conditions, in a trailer in the middle of no-where????
Verrrrry odd.

Felt sorry for their eldest dd too - home educated adn stuck in that trailer all the time.
What is the 'real world' going to hold for those children when they grow up?

LouMacca Wed 22-Oct-08 10:12:10

Awww that was the last one in the series. I am going to miss Dawn on a Tuesday night.

Thought last nights programme and the programme on the internet brides were fab viewing. The guy in the trailer sent a shiver down my spine. Where would the other wife fit?? Would like to see a follow up in a couple of years, that would be interesting.

bigscaryorangespiderami Wed 22-Oct-08 10:14:22

The internet brides one was very interesting, as were the 'free lovers' or wahtever they were called in Germany.

Yes, a follow up would be good.
The large-house community seemed fine, although I don't agree with polygamy, it seems to work for them. And the children were well looked after and well mannered. So each to their own.
But trailer guy did really worry me. I felt sorry for those children.
I think a follow up on them would make for sad viewing.

TskullsScreaming Wed 22-Oct-08 10:17:26

I couldn't understand why trailer guy wanted another wife when he admitted satisfying the two he had wore him out.

There's a mental picture I wish I hadn't thought of.

slug Wed 22-Oct-08 12:04:23

I was annoyed that she didn't ask the obvious question...What if the women wanted more than one husband?

The women were bleating on about how they had chosen this life, but the first wife obviously hadn't. I also felt sorry for that home schooled isolated teenager girl in the middle of nowhere. What sort of life did she have to look forward to? Nothing but a baby making machine, that's her lot in life.

Jazzicatz Wed 22-Oct-08 12:15:51

I thought that too Slug - but I think it goes against the religious beliefs for the woman to have multiple husbands.

scaryfucker Wed 22-Oct-08 16:08:40

I want Dawn Porter to be my NBF !

southeastastra Wed 22-Oct-08 16:10:53

ooh missed it, liked last week's geisha one

littleducks Wed 22-Oct-08 16:13:28

I watched it and wouldnt have minded being a wife in the walton type family, looked like fun! But then maybe im a lazy slattern who would like to swap cleaning for cooking chores with my 'sister' wives. It made the storyline to 'big love' clearer as well

PictureThis Fri 24-Oct-08 13:29:24

I've only just watched it and couldn't stop comparing it to Carolyn Jessops life in her book 'Escape'. she appeared to live life like the women in centennial park but the reality of it was completely different.

Yurtgirl Fri 24-Oct-08 23:20:29

Thanks for mentioning that book picturethis - It gets great reviews on amazon so I am really keen to read it now!

I love dawn porters programmes - she jumps straight in and asks questions and this one was no different!

I did get a bit cross about the totally incorrect "facts" on the programme and in the amazon reviews though

Otherwise fab - I hope she is on our screens again soon

Twinklemegan Fri 24-Oct-08 23:22:33

I loved her the first couple of times I saw her. But now her "innocent" act has worn thin - she's just a bit of a tart. Sorry.

PS Did anyone see her Dirty Dancing prog? Can't believe they've demolished Johnny's shack!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: