Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what age suitable to watch Jaws???

(20 Posts)
wohmum Thu 16-Oct-08 22:12:28

Thats it really - my 9yr old Ds is desperate to see it but is he really too young to watch Jaws? will it give him the same nightmares I had when it first came out ?

I thought this was a good follow-on to the thread about 9yr old girls and Momma Mia !

Majeika Thu 16-Oct-08 22:13:54

about 35yrs old

way too scary for me!!

ClosedForCleaning Thu 16-Oct-08 22:14:05

If you enjoy family beach holidays - I'd never let him watch it.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Thu 16-Oct-08 22:14:43

NEVER EVER EVER EVER

I had this quandry recently with my 10 yr old. It is actually classed as a PG and he wasn't phased at all by it. Thinking back, I was probably about that age when I saw it - but I thought it was really scary!

Of course I didn't help his viewing pleasure by constantly pointing out how plastic and rubbish the effects were all the way through grin

CherryChapstick Thu 16-Oct-08 22:15:41

My DD, 12 had to watch it at school last term for English. She liked it, but younger?.... Don't know.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Thu 16-Oct-08 22:16:19

yes i saw it when it first came out in cinemas. scared the life out of me. Took me years to ever set a toe in the ocean again. Only comfort is there aren't too many great whites off the coast of Kerry.

seeker Thu 16-Oct-08 22:27:07

I have a 7 and a 12 and it would be too much for either of them. But they are notorious wimps.....!

RustyBear Thu 16-Oct-08 22:29:27

I haven't dared watch it yet.... I'm 52.

Monkeyblue Thu 16-Oct-08 22:33:27

On holiday as a kid I would love the sea and going snorkelling(sp)
I watched it when I was about 15.I have never been in the sea since only upto the ankles.
Won`t even go on a pedlow just incase (blush) LOL

muggglewump Thu 16-Oct-08 22:42:39

DD saw it not long before she was 7, she saw them all and she loved them.
She does love scary stuff though but Jaws is about the limit, that and Indiana Jones.

wohmum Thu 16-Oct-08 22:51:09

but Jaws is Wa-a-a-ay scarier than Indiana Jones isn't it??

I think he's still a bit too young to watch it and given the reaction here I'll hold out a bit longer. he loves playing in the sea on hols and I really don;t want him it hav eto think about sharks in tha way.

so what about Lord of eth Rings? is that scary for under 10s? He's watched all of those since last year and loves them but how does that compare for scare power against Jaws?

(BTW we always do the music when playing 'sharks' at swimming - you know 'deh-deh deh-deh deh-deh deh-deh deh-deh'!) grin

Jaws isn't scary anymore. I'm sorry. Children are so used to real action and incredible effects that it just all looks really dated. My ds loves Lord of the Rings, was far more interested in Indiana Jones, and only wanted to see it at all because I said it was scary - which he mocked me for later grin

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Thu 16-Oct-08 23:18:17

see that's the thing about jaws - very low tech. that's what made it all the scarier.

The unknown.

The depths

The JAWS

Monkeyblue Thu 16-Oct-08 23:21:34

You can tell in parts its a rubber fish
But it scares me out just thinking about itshock

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Thu 16-Oct-08 23:24:12

I have seen actual Great White Sharks irl. When I was living in San Diego (which also happens to be around the time the movie was first out) they had caught one off the coast.

It was the size of a feckin CADILLAC

muggglewump Thu 16-Oct-08 23:24:17

I dunno if Indiana is scarier than Jaws or the other way round. I've never been scared of either and neither has DD, well not in a bad way at least.
They were the only two I could think of that were considered by many too old for DD but that she loves if that makes sense?
If I can get a copy of Gremlins I'll show her that too, she'd love it.

I can't think of anything else similar though and I'm not about to go down the route of real horror films just yet. SAW V will be watched by me alone!

Monkeyblue Thu 16-Oct-08 23:29:18

Indiana Jones is not scary dc love it

But face it .Its easier to not go into a jungle or a snake pit you just don`t see them around these parts

BUT the sea the U.k is surrounded by it
Was`nt there a shark spotted around Cornwall???

What with global warming you never knowsmile

seeker Fri 17-Oct-08 00:07:56

Mine are scared of Indiana Jones too blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now